Doom 3 to push 5900 Ultra

By olefarte
May 19, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. According to an article in The Inquirer, the new Doom 3 will push even the GeForce 5900 Ultra to it's limits. The game is so demanding that high resolutions will not work with all the eye candy turned on.
    Read the whole article here.
  2. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

Well dont run it at 1600x1200x32 then. It is as simple as that, 1024x768 is more than sufficient for great graphics.
    If your running it at that high resoultions then your asking for FPS lag.
  3. Steg

Steg Newcomer, in training Posts: 422

i agree with acidosmosis - 1600*1200 is just TOO small on all moniters below 19" - which most of us dont have - i have used 1024*768 for years and games looks no better at higher resolutions
    and as for AA - 2 pass AA almost halves frame rate but offers little increase in image quality - admitidly 4 pass does look better but the frame rate is SOOO low
    but i still want a FX5900! .....and half life 2!

Steg
  4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

I'm not fussing at anyone in particular here, I just read my message it sounded like that hehe. Though what I am saying is if anyone trys to run a game in such a high resolution even with todays hardware, no matter how great your system is, your just asking for problems. I suggest running at 1024x768. With a decent video card and decent system your computer will run that without a problem on most games. Even with the best hardware I wouldnt suggest much higher than 1024x768. It is kind of redundant in this day in time, for now.
  5. Elcarion

Elcarion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 188

I always run at 1024x768 but I still expect Doom 3 and HL2 to tax the GeForce FX 5900 with 4xAA and 8xAF(minimum). I also expect new drivers to bring the Radeon 9800 Pro back in line with the 5900. I'm very partial to ATI's AA over nVidia's.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.