Doom 3 to push 5900 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

According to an article in The Inquirer, the new Doom 3 will push even the GeForce 5900 Ultra to it's limits. The game is so demanding that high resolutions will not work with all the eye candy turned on.
Now, with the launch of the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra last week we've actually gotten to see our most modern video cards in action and the results are a bit sobering. It looks like Doom 3 is going to be the game that finally shatters the hardware vs. 3D engine supremacy that's been the case for years, and not even the highest-end cards available may be able to run it in 1600x1200x32 with all the eye candy turned on and AA / AF tossed in to boot. That right there, if you stop and think about it, is a turn-around from what we're used to seeing these days. Making matters worse, the game prefers NVIDIA video cards over ATI cards so much at this point it's not even funny. ATI had best hope that the reason the GF FX series cleans the Radeon's clock so brutally is because of a driver error, because if it isn't NVIDIA is going to gain a massive benefit from gamers looking to upgrade for the game.
Read the whole article here.

Well dont run it at 1600x1200x32 then. It is as simple as that, 1024x768 is more than sufficient for great graphics.
If your running it at that high resoultions then your asking for FPS lag.

i agree with acidosmosis - 1600*1200 is just TOO small on all moniters below 19" - which most of us dont have - i have used 1024*768 for years and games looks no better at higher resolutions
and as for AA - 2 pass AA almost halves frame rate but offers little increase in image quality - admitidly 4 pass does look better but the frame rate is SOOO low
but i still want a FX5900! .....and half life 2!

Steg

I'm not fussing at anyone in particular here, I just read my message it sounded like that hehe. Though what I am saying is if anyone trys to run a game in such a high resolution even with todays hardware, no matter how great your system is, your just asking for problems. I suggest running at 1024x768. With a decent video card and decent system your computer will run that without a problem on most games. Even with the best hardware I wouldnt suggest much higher than 1024x768. It is kind of redundant in this day in time, for now.

I always run at 1024x768 but I still expect Doom 3 and HL2 to tax the GeForce FX 5900 with 4xAA and 8xAF(minimum). I also expect new drivers to bring the Radeon 9800 Pro back in line with the 5900. I'm very partial to ATI's AA over nVidia's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back