Doom 4 coming to next generation consoles, Rage 2 cancelled

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’ve been waiting around for the next release in the storied Doom franchise, you better get comfortable as it appears you’ll be waiting a good while longer. An early version of the game, which was first hinted at nearly six years ago and made official a year later, did not exhibit the quality and excitement that id and Bethesda plan to deliver according to Bethesda vice president of marketing and publications Pete Hines.

As such, the game was essentially scrapped in late 2011 according to Kotaku. Hines backed up this claim, stating that id refocused its efforts on a new version of Doom 4 that promises to meet the high expectations for the game and the franchise. When they are ready to talk more about the game, they’ll let people know, he said.

Sources have told the publication that part of the problem lies with Id. It’s described as a company that was once full of talent but lacks direction. Politics and mismanagement have all played a negative role at the company as executives were more focused on getting Rage shipped in 2011 than paying much attention to what was happening with Doom 4. When they finally had a close look at it, they didn’t like what they saw and demanded change.

Management changes accompanied the Doom 4 reboot which ultimately led to Rage 2 being cancelled since the first game was met with a mediocre response from consumers and critics.

It’s unknown at this time when we should expect to see Doom 4 although sources said it would debut on next generation consoles.

Permalink to story.

Sadly yet another crappy game from what was once a great company. the fault isnt id's, it is zenimax who fired all the good talent to begin with. see quake live's failure in north america as an example. it is also bethesda's fault for having high expectations from a company that was gutted after it was taken over by zenimax a few years ago.

I'm hoping they decide to scrap D4, because this is almost déjà vu. Although I am a big fan of the franchise, I'd rather not see it end as fantastically as Duke Nukem did. With new management comes the opportunity to start a new franchise; they'd be best served by exploiting that.

Sounds like Doom 4 is turning into the next Duke Nukem. Too bad about Rage 2 - it wasn't a bad game, just wasn't a great game. With some tweaks and upgrades for part 2, they could have turned it into a great game.

Rage 1 had its initial rounds of technical difficulties upon launch. By the time I got around to it, all that had been sorted, and the game was running pretty well on my PC. It just wasn't that interesting. I know some people like open games, but after a gap time between playing I picked up this title feeling a bit lost and I didn't really know what my objectives were, other than to race my buggy and try to get some upgrades. I can't really see a Rage 2 in my future, so good call on canceling this.

Doom 3 was supposed to have that cinematic look with a space-muder-thriller kind of setting to the game. But the overly dark shadows meant I would spend more time in frustration than awe. I could see myself playing a Doom 4, mostly out of morbid curiosity to see if they can spark life in this franchise, but only on PC. Sorry, I don't mean to knock the console's, but I liken this to releasing a "Serenity 2" movie straight to DVD, and skipping the epic theater setting.

Quake III Arena was the first FPS that I played on a PC. Definitely what influenced me to play shooters as much as I used to. Doom 3 was too dark and too scripted. I didn't even have fun so I stopped playing it. Q4 was a decent game with a pretty fun single player, but the online component just didn't have what it took to be great.

I hope they make Doom 4 a reality. I just hope the next gen consoles dont ruin it like what happened with BF3... I just wish it was PC exclusive, but at the same time, that is a much smaller market.

Back