DOOM Graphics & CPU Benchmarks

Steve

Staff member

Twenty two years ago an obscure game developer called id Software released a first-person shooter that would have a huge impact on the future of PC gaming, computer graphics and the industry as a whole, that game was Doom.

At the time I was 10, and while I can't exactly recall if my first encounter with the game came right then or a few years later, it certainly left a mark as it did to millions.

The Doom reboot is a gift to the PC Master Race. The 4K visuals are amazing, excellent high resolution textures cover every surface, the lighting and shadows are on point and this all comes together to make those glory kill animations look insane. The question that remains now is, what kind of hardware do you require to enjoy those glory kills in all of their gory glory?

Read the complete article.

To be perfectly honest: I'm not impressed.

The multiplayer is basically a more violent version of Halo without the benefit of large maps and vehicles.
Essentially: CALL of DOOMty

The Singleplayer isn't really that great.

Doom 3 with 4K visuals.

I bought the $59.99 pre-order, honestly, just so I wouldn't have to spend $4.99 on DOOM and $4.99 on DOOM II.

Both were way more fun.

The multiplayer is basically a more violent version of Halo without the benefit of large maps and vehicles.

Doom 3 with 4K visuals.

I bought the $59.99 pre-order, honestly, just so I wouldn't have to spend $4.99 on DOOM and $4.99 on DOOM II.

Both were way more fun.

Have to agree. I think $60 is way too much for this game. I give it an "OK" rating at best! I know it's DOOM, but movement seems I am on wheels with a motor, more than running. To fast and too smooth for a run and gun game. Gore is good. But same O' same O'!!! Enemy's looks and movements are all clones!

The game is fun, but will not have longevity!

Scale 1 - 10 for me equals a 6.5

Too fast? Too slow more like but I am enjoying it , the mp is a bit souless,pardon the pun , but that what you get with matchmaking community spirit will be better if it gets dedicated servers at some point .

Curious if AMD will bother optimizing this game for OpenGL 4.5 or simply getting the best performance out of the gate when Vulkan support launches.

I liked the game, a lot, but I'll have to agree, with the minions being tougher than the originals it would be much more chaotic to have many many demons on screen (Although you do get them when you progress :)

Also, don't play it in ***** mode.

I have enjoyed every Doom game and I am not a snob, unless we are talking coffee. I buy 1 full price game a year...though this year I will buy two. I should have Doom going tomorrow. I just want to have fun...I don't need to have a gasm like those that are "unimpressed" It is so easy to be ho-hum. Takes no talent.

The gtx960 doing better than the 780?

Could have a little to do with better driver updates in the newer cards. Progression wise it could make sense considering that the 1070 is supposed to outperform the 980Ti. Albeit I'm used to seeing the 780 outperform.

I need to buy this game!! It looks insanely awesome! Thanks for the benchmarks, this is my favorite section y Techspot.

Can't wait to see how the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 run this game at 1440p/1600p.
One of them is my next GPU.

Nice to see a game run perfect out of the box. I loaded it up set everything to ultra, turned blur off and vsync on and got a solid 60 fps all through the game... Even my fx 8350 (@4.2mhz) didn't break a sweat and it didn't really tax my gtx 970 even its fans didn't spin up that much. Whatever people say about the game play (personally I like it), no one can deny that id tech 6 is a fantastic game engine.

Multi reminded me of a less creative DNF within the beta. The monsters should be Demons, somehow demons all now have exo skeletons....

You know your CPU is special when it hasn't gone down in price for over 2 years, I think it actually went up, I got my 4690k for 205$ 2+ years ago.

Last edited:
The CPU page has all benchmarks titled "GeForce GTX 980Ti @ 1080p" but labelled "2560x1440 avg/min" for the bars.

Also, would be nice to do a CPU benchmark with an AMD card. AMD tends to have less optimised drivers, at least for Direct3D, so I wonder how it fares with the slower CPU's.

Doom 3 with 4K visuals.

Both were way more fun.

Scrub.

Shoot bang shoot bang shoot bang yawn...

Scrub.

Doom 3 with 4K visuals.

Both were way more fun.

Have to agree. I think $60 is way too much for this game. I give it an "OK" rating at best! I know it's DOOM, but movement seems I am on wheels with a motor, more than running. To fast and too smooth for a run and gun game. Gore is good. But same O' same O'!!! Enemy's looks and movements are all clones!

The game is fun, but will not have longevity!

Scale 1 - 10 for me equals a 6.5

Scrub.

I have enjoyed every Doom game and I am not a snob, unless we are talking coffee. I buy 1 full price game a year...though this year I will buy two. I should have Doom going tomorrow. I just want to have fun...I don't need to have a gasm like those that are "unimpressed" It is so easy to be ho-hum. Takes no talent.

Good man.

Where's the music? The soundtrack was a big part of the original Doom experience. It seems to be a lost art in pretty much all new games, unfortunately.

Back