DOOM III Goes Gold!

By Phantasm66
Jul 14, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes, I know we have already reported on this, but gosh darn it, its such cool news I just had to post it twice...!! We couldn't stand the chance of any of you missing this!

"Given Doom 3's nearly half-decade in development, Hollenshead [id CEO] was understandably enthusiastic. "The champagne is flowing here at id and smiles abound!"" More here.

I personally expect each and every one of you to get this game, install it, practice and then come for a TechSpot DOOM III deathmatch! If there is enough interest we might organise one, although I have no idea as of yet where we would host it...

Like many of you, I have followed the development of DOOM III with great interest. If the trailers are anything to go by, I think we are really all in for a treat!
  2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

Bleh.. its play a real multiplayer fps ;) Not that Doom isnt a real game, I just dont think it'll be a multiplayer thats all :)
  3. SOB

SOB Banned Posts: 150

cmon, agissi

they're even holding a multiplayer tournament where even "you" could enter for free and a chance at 150K in prizes and cash @ quakecon.org
  4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

It has multiplayer yes. Theres no question about that. Has'nt been for a long time.
  5. nico1606

nico1606 Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

I'm more interested in seeing if this game can scare the hell out of me.

Dark corners, very freaky looking monsters... I mean Multiplayer might be fun....but this is one game I'm more interested in seeing how the single player mode plays out.
  6. acidosmosis

I'm not iinto most FPS games for multiplayer anymore. Quake, Painkiller, Counter Strike, Unreall 2003/2004 all turned me off to that. Even if it could be fun the lame kids made it pointless.
  7. SOB

SOB Banned Posts: 150

XMP

i think, is still a blast. similar to tribes. maps are incredible. small following though. for those whom purchased unreal, awakening. other than that, i would tend to agree. even tribes vengeance is intriguing me. oh, i just pre-ordered doom 3 @ best buy, we'll see how long it takes. and, which pre-order will win. i ordered a 6800 gt, as well. half life coupon in hand. twitch, twitch.
  8. Does anyone know if Doom 3 will support Linux?
  9. nico1606

Haha Hl2...yea who knows when that one is hitting the shelves...
    but yea it's good that there are finally some good ones coming out..
    I always get excited around this time....pretty soon you'll have in your hands all the good stuff.

I'm debating whether I should go get a new processor for D3.
  10. acidosmosis

No. Servers probably. Linux users may get away with getting Doom 3 to work by other means, but no you will not get Doom 3 to run right out of the box in Linux. That goes for 99% of games.
  11. nico1606

Just duel boot into windows... play Doom III...exit windows...boot back into Linux

Best of both worlds.

12. acidosmosis

I honestly could give a rats *** whether it works for Linux or not. Linux is not for gaming. Once people will realize that we will have a lot less trolls running around. No offence, but the crying about games not working Linux got old years ago. Right now Linux is for servers, browsing the web, email, and maybe a little word processing. Other than that well everyone will have to wait.

And like nico1606 said.. dual boot. If your smart enough to install Linux and use it then you can dual boot. (Waits for people to cry "oh but I dont want to use Microcrap Windows")..

Anyway, I am counting the days till Doom 3 is out. :-D
  13. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 6,504

http://www.shacknews.com/finger/?fid=toddh@idsoftware.com
  14. acidosmosis

In other words, server binaries most likely. I seriously doubt they mean they are going to provide Linux binaries for actually playing the game itself. Very unlikely.
  15. um... DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, and QUAKE III all run natively on Linux. If DOOM III does not, It'll be a huge disappointment.
  16. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Yeah, most likely it will run.

It would be strange if it didn't considering that D3 is using and OpenGL engine, which is fully supported on *nix systems... Had it been DX9 on the other hand...

And it's not like it's EA games which has developed the game, so it should be working properly.
    (I can't get over the fact that the "dedicated server" in BF:1942 is just the regular game with a "black.exe" running in the foreground and sounds turned off...!)
  17. acidosmosis

LoL. I didn't know that. Hehe.

So what you guys are saying is you just pop in a Doom 3 CD, and run a single file on that CD without doing anything else and it will run. I have a hard time believing that is all there is to it without using other software.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.