DOS bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizwold

I have a very old WinPro486e(1994 model). It will post. I get an error message saying that it lacks an operating system. I also have the original 3.1 install disks. When I insert disk #1 I get an improper disk error message. I presume that I need a Dos boot disk. is there any way to download one on the net & save it to floppy?:confused:

3.1? This is Windows you are trying to install! Windows versions prior to 95 and NT need a DOS operating system underneath.

You should either install DOS (i strongly recommend 6.22 (the last "real" DOS version)) and then Windows 3.1 or go for Windows 95.

Turns out that the "install disks" that were brought for me to install are the install disks for IE for 3.1! I'm gonna go a'huntin' for a DOS 6.22 install download. Will this AT mobo & 80486 PGA form chip receive Windows 95?? If it will it would probably be e
asier for me to scrounge up a 95 install disk than a 3.1, Huh? Thanks agin' fer th' help! Grizwold.

Never thought of that!! Perhaps I'll do just that. It's my #2 backup machine anyway so no harm done no matter what the outcome. Are you a Linux pro realblackstuff? I guess you could call me L-curious. lol! Of course there's the matter of the DOS problem,(no install disk, no DOS program.) & my abject poverty until my October Dole Check arrives. I think that's what you would call our welfare?
Type to you later...Grizwold.

To AdrianScotter. I've tried your suggested link & have found many great offers but in my ignorance I can't seem to find a download that will actually install DOS on my machine, so I am treading water until I do. Thnx again for the help!

The Griz

Windows 95 should run OK if you have more than 8 megs of RAM there.

As for Linux.. It will run OK. Graphics enviroment wise you will have to forget about (current) Gnome or KDE.

What do you want to do with that machine anyway?

Hi Griz, I can't understand that, I have just been to bootdisk.com and downloaded DOS 6.22 - if you want it let me know and I'll Email you a copy of whatever you'd like in the way of boot disk images. Regards, Adrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back