DOS/XP Dual-boot with unconventional method, and it's not working

By IronPlatypus
Sep 4, 2009
  1. I'll try to describe my scenario as short as possible. I have a work-related project where I'm trying to get a dual-boot between DOS and XP. XP was already installed and reinstalling is not an option. So I went about my task this way:

I resized the NTFS partition at the beginning of the drive, and I added a small 16 Megabyte partition. Using a Windows 98 boot cd I used the sys command to copy the system files onto the small partition. Since the NTFS partition was still marked as C and the new one was D, I used a partition table editor and switched the drive letters.

I also set the FAT partition as active instead of the NTFS one, which I don't even know is good or bad, to be honest.

I booted up my XP installation cd and copied over ntldr and from the NTFS partition to the FAT partition. I then used the fixboot command and restarted.

I got really hopeful because the "Windows didn't shut down properly" screen came up where it gives you the option to boot into safe mode. I choose normal mode. Then my screen goes black for a few seconds and then restarts with no messages or anything.

I went back to my installation cd and tried fixmbr, bootcfg /rebuild... I couldn't get it to work.

Could someone give any suggestions as to what I could try? I realize I went about my dual-boot the wrong way after doing some research, but since the partitions are already set up I'd like to try to get it to work. Thanks
  2. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 413

A lot of things to do

You've got a lot to do here:
    1- Backup XP
    2- Erase XP partition using the XP CD/DVD
    3- Install MS-DOS
    4- Install XP
    5- Restore XP
    6- Have fun with your dual boot
  3. IronPlatypus

IronPlatypus TS Rookie Topic Starter

So basically there's no way to rescue the project?

Ah well... that's ok. I actually did all this on a duplicate drive, so I can just copy the original again and start over with a working method I found somewhere. It would have been really neat to fix it though, if only as proof-of-concept.

Thanks anyway.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Couldn't you accomplish this with a VM in a much more elegant way than a dual boot between DOS and XP?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.