DOS/XP Dual-boot with unconventional method, and it's not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to describe my scenario as short as possible. I have a work-related project where I'm trying to get a dual-boot between DOS and XP. XP was already installed and reinstalling is not an option. So I went about my task this way:

I resized the NTFS partition at the beginning of the drive, and I added a small 16 Megabyte partition. Using a Windows 98 boot cd I used the sys command to copy the system files onto the small partition. Since the NTFS partition was still marked as C and the new one was D, I used a partition table editor and switched the drive letters.

I also set the FAT partition as active instead of the NTFS one, which I don't even know is good or bad, to be honest.

I booted up my XP installation cd and copied over ntldr and ntdetect.com from the NTFS partition to the FAT partition. I then used the fixboot command and restarted.

I got really hopeful because the "Windows didn't shut down properly" screen came up where it gives you the option to boot into safe mode. I choose normal mode. Then my screen goes black for a few seconds and then restarts with no messages or anything.

I went back to my installation cd and tried fixmbr, bootcfg /rebuild... I couldn't get it to work.

Could someone give any suggestions as to what I could try? I realize I went about my dual-boot the wrong way after doing some research, but since the partitions are already set up I'd like to try to get it to work. Thanks

A lot of things to do

You've got a lot to do here:
1- Backup XP
2- Erase XP partition using the XP CD/DVD
3- Install MS-DOS
4- Install XP
5- Restore XP
6- Have fun with your dual boot

So basically there's no way to rescue the project?

Ah well... that's ok. I actually did all this on a duplicate drive, so I can just copy the original again and start over with a working method I found somewhere. It would have been really neat to fix it though, if only as proof-of-concept.

Thanks anyway.

Couldn't you accomplish this with a VM in a much more elegant way than a dual boot between DOS and XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back