Double-click pulls up Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klytus

This is one I've never seen before.

In a WinXP SP2 environment, if you double-click on a folder, it does not open the folder, but it pulls up the Search for Files or Folders application. The computer does not have one of those fancy mice (nor the software for such) where you can re-program what the clicks do. Everything else I looked at in File and Folder setting, Mouse, etc, is otherwise normal. I'm presently scanning for virii and spyware, but I do wnat to know if anyone else has seen this and what was done to fix it.

Many thanks.

Give people more time, its bad habit to bump a thread in less than 24hrs, especialy when this forum runs on the charity (free time) of others.

I'll get the ball rolling.
Can you describe what you were doing before/during this happened?
Any changes to the environment (hardware, software etc)?

Have a read through this:
Follow these instructions BEFORE posting your HJT log. and post a new thread in the Security and Web forum after following all instructions as best you can (mention some if you have trouble)

Run a registry cleaner/fixer like CCleaner etc.

See how you go. Any other info you can think of is usefull.

Unusually for Microsoft they have a realistic solution HERE

1. Start/Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry
if this problem occurs with folders:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

If this problem occurs with drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.

4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor.

Yeah - I stumbled on to that one earlier this morning. How I missed it in my first round of reasearch, I'l never know.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

N3051M said:
Give people more time, its bad habit to bump a thread in less than 24hrs, especialy when this forum runs on the charity (free time) of others.

Sorry about that. The first time I'd posted a problem here, I got feedback the same day and thought *that* was the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back