Double-clicking mouse

Auvic

Hi! I usually post over in the malware/viruses section, but I don't ...think this is virus/malware related? That is, my mouse has recently (within the past week or so) decided that it's going to start double-clicking, which is something of an irritation when dragging/dropping things, or when playing video games of any kind, mostly. I don't think this is malware/virus related, since I've run my malwarebytes/MSE scans and found nothing; I've even run malwarebyte's anti-rootkit to see if it was just something strange going on there, and found nothing, too.

My mouse is a few - about six? - months old, and it doesn't really have any issues aside from this, nor have I had any problems with it before now. It's an E-blue Cobra mouse, and googling doesn't seem to be terribly helpful as far as "Go ___ for new/updated drivers!", so I'm sort of stuck on that front, too.

Anyone have any suggestions/fixes they know of that might help?

Have you check in the control pane. Under folder options? Once you click on this and the window opens. Look for ( Click Items as follows) Here it will give you the option to single click on Items or double click. You should be able to change your settings there.

Good news is it's not Mal-ware. It's a faulty button on the mouse. Trashy switch contacts. If you feel aggressive, you can get it to stop for a few more weeks by pecking (I mean really pecking) the button.

I have a double-clicking mouse now, and have been getting aggressive with it every few weeks to make it tolerant. I honestly don't know which mouse to suggest as a replacement**. I thought spending $35-$40 on a mouse would be enough. Obviously I was wrong! I don't want to spend more and then be just as disappointed. I've asked before and gotten a few suggestions in the past. But I've never acted on the suggestions.

For some reason though I have the RAZER DeathAdder on the top of my mind. I'm not sure if RAZER is continuing that line of mouse though.

** I think they all use the same type of switches, which may eventually do the same thing.

If it's a software problem, check the mouse software and ensure it doesn't have 'rapid fire' mode enabled.

As @Cobalt006 , suggested, go into Control Panel>General Tab>
A mouse click.JPG
Once done, click Apply Ok & try your mouse. I've never liked double clicking, I think its ridicules.

That is, my mouse has recently decided that it's going to start double-clicking, which is something of an irritation when dragging/dropping things
There is the clarification, he said the mouse was doing the double clicking. I can relate to the irritation when dragging and dropping. With a mouse that double clicks, you can't hold an item long enough to drop it where you want it. The item will drop anywhere as you are dragging, before you are ready to drop. About like turning on a flashlight, but yet it keeps blinking in and out.

Clifford's definitely on the money, here; it's not that I'm wanting to no longer double click things, which is what the folder option would solve. My issue is definitely more of the "Oh, let me highlight these files and drop them in this folder-" "...oh okay I guess I now have thirty word documents open and my computer is going to take forever to manage that, cool." variety.

As of late, however, things have been slightly more tolerable, though I definitely did mash my left button a good few hard times ( is that what you meant by peck ) the other day. I'll admit I did it mostly out of frustration, but if that's what it takes to have a working mouse, I'll take it.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, though - and amusingly enough, Clifford, I actually used to have a Death Adder; but it died on me a long while back. Luckily, however, I'd grabbed it for liek 15-20$ instead of the normal price while it was on a Woot sale; maybe I should've gotten more than one. Ha!

As of late, however, things have been slightly more tolerable, though I definitely did mash my left button a good few hard times ( is that what you meant by peck ) the other day. I'll admit I did it mostly out of frustration
Put it this way. I made my finger slightly sore (lasted an hour or so) three days ago, while getting my Gigabyte M6880 to stop double clicking. I've had probably 6 different cheap mouse the last 8 years all replaced because of double-clicking. Which is why I chose to spend a bit more this last time. There are no guarantees against this issue, so I don't have a clue what to get. If I knew for sure which mouse wouldn't start double-clicking within a year, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I've spoken about this before on the forum, and another member advised getting a mouse with specific brand switches. The switches were said to be made of better quality. I don't remember the details and a mouse is generally not advertise with the type of switches that it uses. At the time I had thought about buying these switches and replacing them myself.

Back