Double\dual layer dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nork

I just bought a new dual layer dvd burner. I havent installed it yet and it comes with an oem of nero. Nero is my software of choice but i have heard some very bad reports about nero's version 7, mainly audio problems.
I wonder, does anyone have any further info for me. For instance, nero is now at something like version 7.2 or 7.02 or some other version and i am wondering which version has the audio part repaired, or is it repaired.
I have a really great retail, ultra version 6.6 that came with a ton of other programs, one of which is nero showtime, which plays some dvds that i cant get to play on winamp and other progs.
I am wondering which version i should choose and does version 6.6 have support for dual layer or not?

I dont know the version of the oem nero i got with the dual layer burner i got, but it does say " oem suite 3" on it, as well as "nero express 6.6" along with other nero programs. It also says it has "MPEG2- SVCD/DVD plug-in". I am wondering if that would be the "dual layer plugin". I dont think so but i thought i would ask.

As you can see, there are many ins and outs here, and so i figure someone out there can provide the info i need.
I am thinking this may be nero 6.6, in which case i might be better of using the retail v6.6 that i already have for this burner as well, but it seems to be older and i dont know if it suited for dual layer burning or not.
So if you know any answers to any of the questions i have posed i would appreciate your input. I am hoping, of course, that someone who has used all or most of these versions would have first-hand knowledge that they are willing to share.

thanks in advance, i am fairly new here. I was at another site similar to this for about 5 yrs but got tired of the politics there. This site seems to be free of such politics and seems to offer a great deal of info. I also like sharpening my hardware skills by helping others with their hardware problems. Could be that i am better at hardware skills rather than software skills,lol, but we all have our favorite areas i suppose.

Currently I have installed and like very much the latest version of Nero 7.2.0.3b and have had NO PROBLEMS... everybody I have chatted with that has RAID installed and working is having problems....with Nero 7... but then you do not have to have Nero 7 to have problems with RAID...
every mobo on the market has problems with RAID... its buggy (sic)

Thanks for your reply.
I do believe i have heard one of the problems with version 7.0 is with audio not synching. I could be wrong but i think thats the issue or at least something with audio.

Can you tell me which version of Nero started having support for dual layer burners? Or do they all have such support? I dont know how the support comes in, perhaps a plug-in of some sort?

I hope to get other replies.
thanks

Frank Smith, thanks very much for the info re nero having dl support as of version 6, info i needed to have.

I just might stick with the nero ultra 6.6 i already have then? But if i knew of the differences between 6.6 and your version, 7.2.0.3b, I might change my mind. Can you tell me, roughly, what is different from v 6.6 to v 7.2.0.3b?
Is the difference worth going to v 7.2.0.3b or would you stick to ultra 6.6 if you were happy with it?
I am thinking that v7.0 appears to have issues while 7.2.0.3b and perhaps some other versions above 7.0 dont have issues.

thanks

I have run v7.0 locked up machine
I up'd to v7.0.14 works OK
up's again to 7.0.5 locked up machine went back to v7.0.14
incd does not work on my machine at all
the only thing I have seen new is recode and support for mpeg 4 and ac3 sound
rendering is awful slow with crashs sometimes at end normal athoring will have sound sync errors the short of it I use it only to make vitual drive and cd covers is that just great
thers a lot of free dvd burner software out there that works a lot better
movie editing the same plus a few real good pay softs like mainconcept
authoring I do with dvdlab pro

good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back