TechSpot

Double icons in the start menu

By The_Dark_Lord
Nov 10, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Does anyone know why I have double icons in the start menu, they go after a reboot then come back afterwards???

2. The_Dark_Lord

The_Dark_Lord TS Rookie Topic Starter

Help Me Please!!!!!

3. Grafficks

Grafficks TS Rookie Posts: 454

What is "double icons in the start menu"? Which icon do you have double of? Explain more please.

4. The_Dark_Lord

The_Dark_Lord TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry it's in the permanant icons at the top, I have outlook express internet explorar and azzureus all single until I started browsing the web then they all become double. It never seems to bother the system just me wondering what is going on.

I also have double icons in the control panel foradd remove hardware and add remove software strange but true.

Thanks in advance

5. thegeodeman2005

thegeodeman2005 TS Rookie

I have the same problem and have had it for awhile now... I first linked it to the MS update kb908531 that came out some time ago and when i removed that update and put it in hidden the doubling problem went away but then after getting more updates the problem has returned... It has no effect on the system so i have learned to just live with it but I wish it could be fixed... I have talk to Dell and MS and both have no clue what this is... Its not a virus or spyware because I have reformatted several times (Dell's advice) and it happens again right after the updates install... I have McAfee and SpyDoctor and both are up to date and running before I update from MS update... I'm running Windows Xp SP2.... Its only the top Icons in the start menu that does it and if I right click on start and then properties and then click ok in the start menu properties it resets the icons but doubles again after awhile... Does anybody have a idea of what this could be?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.