TechSpot

Downgrade to win 8; no os

1. Had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Did not like and reversed out, Win 8 was gibberish after the reversal. So I decided to use Wipe Drive to clean HHD and a fresh Microsoft disk to load Win7.
    I get this error message "OS not found" any way I.try to load the software
    I have used Wipe Drive before and never had a problem downloading an OS. All the F keys.produce the same error message. Would appreciate a little hand holding to load an OS.

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,777   +241

If the computer was a win 8 . You will have to turn secure boot off in the bios. This should let you install win 7 then.

Disabling Secure Boot

jobeard and bazz2004 like this.
  3. George Marshall

George Marshall TS Rookie Topic Starter

Great response and most helpful, I was not aware of secure boot.
    I have tried to get to the BIOS, but have been unsuccessful.. Pressed all the F keys and esc on startup with no luck. Still get error message OS NOT FOUND. I even installed a HHD with windows 8 or ten and still got the same error message I know I have to get to the BIOS, just don;t know how.

4. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

You need to know which keys to press and how which can vary between different makes and models of computer. Google about entering the BIOS for your make of computer/motherboard first. Actually doing it can be a bit tricky so you will likely need quite a few goes to get the hang of it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241032/how_to_enter_your_pcs_bios.html

5. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,026   +51

BIOS access key is often F11, or F12 or Del.

6. George Marshall

JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ALL. GOOD INFO WORKED FINE

7. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,777   +241

Glad to here. Your welcome.

8. George Marshall

Just for info. After entering the BIOS, boot, had to change to Legacy to get Win 7 to load. On the Efxx (can't remember correct name) it would not load. Also the network controller driver would not load. Got on internet with WiFi dongle.

9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

That's an unsigned driver problem, just coerce it.

10. Technician

Technician TS Addict Posts: 677   +113

Not coerce, it sounds so corrupt, I prefer to finesse it. If it doesn't work the first time, use a bigger finesse hammer.

11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

Signed vs unsigned drivers is a setting choice the user can make easily.

12. Technician

Technician TS Addict Posts: 677   +113

Exactly, no coercion necessary. :) It's all good, we are saying the same thing in a different way.