Download of the Week: LastPass 3.0

Erik

Staff member

Frankly, it’s impossible to remember all the usernames and passwords I have on the web so having a password manager is a must for the eidetic memory impaired like me. Although most browsers can remember your passwords, there are quite a few third party applications that do it much better and safer. There’s Roboform, 1Password, KeePass and LastPass just to name a few, but personally I use LastPass.

download lastpass

Maybe the interface wasn’t the neatest but version 3.0.0 looks to improve on that as well as on other features. In Chrome, the updated extension offers a cleaner interface, improves notifications on the LastPass button and input fields now show a small icon to the right for easier access to logins and form data. 

Currently, there is an issue with Chrome's auto suggest feature and the new version of LastPass. If you work with forms a lot you might end up having to manually fill most fields, so if that’s your case you should hold on until the problem has been resolved. This apparently is limited to Chrome under Windows.

download lastpass

In Android devices the changes are much less subtle. There app now has a modern ‘holo’ UI, multitab support, clickable icons and according to the company, better search. The same goes for the iOS version minus the new UI. The downside is the Android and iOS apps require you to upgrade to the $12 a year subscription after a 14 day trail period.

To wrap things up, if you don’t have a password manager you should and LastPass is a great option. Everything is stored in the cloud so you can access your login information from various platforms and the extension for browsers is pretty straight forward. Most of the process is automated and security is pretty tight.

Download for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS right here.

Permalink to story.

How many of you would back the security and usability in this? Any one else in here use this program?
Interested myself...

I've been using this for 2 months now. And It's a killer app. I have it generate unique passwords for the accounts which I create now. The default passwords that it generates look something like "WlQPk0zwI04T" - hard to remember and not easy to guess. When you generate passwords like these for each of the websites that you need it's terrific security. I use my one master password, and it stores the rest and supplies the passwords automatically or I can retrieve them easily through the interface.

Using this application can be convenient and automatic - for those of you who are certain that nobody else will be using your computer. Or it can be a very secure and require your master password when you want to login to a web page. It can auto-logout on idle or when the browser closes. There's a multitude of security settings to fit your needs.

I also like that it stores the website URLs when you create accounts. So, lets say that I created a new account but didn't recall the URL to the site. (It happens!) I can go into Last Pass, look in a folder where I stored the account and retrieve the URL, my username, and my password.

And for those sites which we use once a year, it never forgets those passwords. Which saves me from having to go through the emailing me a new password, recalling which username I gave them, etc. So, in short it's making my life easier.

I recommend it too. And this update has made it easier to integrate into your life. But I'd suggest that you make your master password pretty difficult to remember since you are protecting your identity.

I've been using it as well and have been happy. I also purchased the YubiKey for physical security as well. (There are a few fields or login screens it doesn't seem to fill in - I'm guessing maybe the way the site was designed but I'm still very happy with the app)

/* EDIT */
p.s. Yea, remembering all my different passwords and variations became far too much an effort to continue managing on my own

I really like lastpass, it's easily the best password manager for usability. It would be even better if it was open source though... and maybe didn't use US servers.

I love lastpass and have been using it for years. I don't like the new update though... The stuff that's popping up in form fields is annoying and is causing my pages to lag. I wish there was an option to turn that feature off.

Back