TechSpot

Download of the Week: LastPass 3.0

By Erik
Nov 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Frankly, it’s impossible to remember all the usernames and passwords I have on the web so having a password manager is a must for the eidetic memory impaired like me. Although most browsers can remember your passwords, there are quite...

Read more

2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

How many of you would back the security and usability in this? Any one else in here use this program?
    Interested myself...

3. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

Steve Gibson (of GRC) uses it and I trust his evaluations. In part because of how open and in depth he is with his reviews, particularly regarding security.

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I've been using this for 2 months now. And It's a killer app. I have it generate unique passwords for the accounts which I create now. The default passwords that it generates look something like "WlQPk0zwI04T" - hard to remember and not easy to guess. When you generate passwords like these for each of the websites that you need it's terrific security. I use my one master password, and it stores the rest and supplies the passwords automatically or I can retrieve them easily through the interface.

Using this application can be convenient and automatic - for those of you who are certain that nobody else will be using your computer. Or it can be a very secure and require your master password when you want to login to a web page. It can auto-logout on idle or when the browser closes. There's a multitude of security settings to fit your needs.

I also like that it stores the website URLs when you create accounts. So, lets say that I created a new account but didn't recall the URL to the site. (It happens!) I can go into Last Pass, look in a folder where I stored the account and retrieve the URL, my username, and my password.

And for those sites which we use once a year, it never forgets those passwords. Which saves me from having to go through the emailing me a new password, recalling which username I gave them, etc. So, in short it's making my life easier.

I recommend it too. And this update has made it easier to integrate into your life. But I'd suggest that you make your master password pretty difficult to remember since you are protecting your identity.

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

I've been using it as well and have been happy. I also purchased the YubiKey for physical security as well. (There are a few fields or login screens it doesn't seem to fill in - I'm guessing maybe the way the site was designed but I'm still very happy with the app)

/* EDIT */
    p.s. Yea, remembering all my different passwords and variations became far too much an effort to continue managing on my own

6. TekGun

TekGun TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +13

I really like lastpass, it's easily the best password manager for usability. It would be even better if it was open source though... and maybe didn't use US servers.

7. I love lastpass and have been using it for years. I don't like the new update though... The stuff that's popping up in form fields is annoying and is causing my pages to lag. I wish there was an option to turn that feature off.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.