Download of the Week: Xbox One Controller Driver for Windows

Erik

Staff member

Considering Windows support for the Xbox 360 controllers has been a given for a very long time, Xbox One owners as well as PC gamers wanting to use the revamped console controller have been waiting for similar treatment since the launch of the console last November.

Now the wait is over. Microsoft released today official Xbox One Controller Drivers for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. Although there is no exact mention of which versions of Windows are supported, everything points to Windows 7 and 8. That's the good news, but the better news is game compatibility.

The Xbox One controller should work with any title that is compatible with the Xbox 360 controller. And as one would assume this far in the game, that list is quite extensive. If you're wondering exactly how extensive, you can check out this wiki.

If you already have a Xbox One controller handy, just choose your Windows platform below and click on the download link for your driver.

Also, in case you missed it. We recently posted a review update on the Xbox One after owning the console for six months. Here's a blurb from the controller section:

...my opinion of the Xbox One controller has significantly improved. I've grown to like the feel of the thing in my hands, including the contrast between the solid controller and those wiggly triggers. Many hours of Titanfall have helped me get a sense of just how good the Xbox One controller is for first-person shooters. It's enough of an improvement that if and when Microsoft finally makes the controller work with PC games, I'll switch. 

Overall, my opinion of the Xbox One controller has significantly changed for the better. Good job, Xbox One controller!

Permalink to story.

So how do you connect it to the computer? Do you have to buy some sort of receiver or dongle?

I had to do some reasearch to find out that this gamepad uses an INCLUDED and OPTIONAL microUSB cable and therefore should present no problems using it on PC. I still have no idea if it can be used wirelessly on PC though.

Hoo boy. A console controller and myself just don't see eye to eye, if I can't play a game with a keyboard and mouse then forget it.

"Hoo boy. A console controller and myself just don't see eye to eye, if I can't play a game with a keyboard and mouse then forget it"

There's quite a few different types of games that require a game pad. Button mashers and racing games come to mind. In the last two or three years I've come across I think 4 games that I downloaded and started, then stopped playing because I didn't have a controller.

I put a note in the driver pages... Your Xbox One controller needs to be connected to your PC through the micro USB cable for PC gaming.

Back