Download sites

Kintigh

Having used Cnet for years for downloads on it's Download.com site I have come to the point where I don not find there site viable. There is just to dang much tomtrickery going on for my tastes. I do believe that is becoming the general consensus.

What are some of the other favored sites that are more security conscious with the downloads posted on there site?

I understand Softpedia is decent?

Any help from staff or user would be greatly appreciated.

I don't download a lot of programs but we all need utilities, and an occasional program targeted to our area of interest.

Cnet used to be decent and they have a bazillion files............but yeah yikes is right
What a shame to see it deteriorate to such a great extent.

Thanks for the prompt reply and goodly advice.

TechSpot is a host for Downloads. - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/

Cnet? Ewww! Yikes!

The only download locations, I will possibly recommend:
  • Author's Pages
  • TechSpot
  • Softpedia
  • Softonic
  • Filehippo
  • Oldversion
I second Author's pages, TechSpot, and Filehippo. The others, especially softpedia, should be avoided IMO. I haven't used them in a few years so they could have changed, but last time I used them, it downloaded a bunch of adware. Definitely stay away from CNET since they are packing adware/bloatware with everything.

I found the service useful today. I couldn't find a download for Gom Audio Player without "extras" and used the Techspot link. It installed fine but unfortunately I couldn't get rid of the program when it disappointed. The entry disappeared from Control Panel but it was still in Program Files and refused to go. Sorted that by stopping Gom in Task Manager then deleting the folder. Next I found AIMP via Techspot and I'm please with the program - it's easy to set up an A to B repeat loop within an mp3 track. You can't beat a Walkman for that though.

Back