Download speed at 512K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse

Im thinking of getting a 512K plan for adsl, now im wondering was is the actull d/l speed.
Iv got SDN currenty its 128K connection but i only d/l at 15K
can anyone shed some lite on the subject?

The problem is that "elite" guys don't bother with the Bs and bs.

Your ISDN is 128kb meaning 128 kilo (1000) bits. Your downloading software tells you the speeds in Kilo (1024) bytes (KB). There are 8 bits in a byte so 128*1000/8=16000 16000/1024=15.625 and voila you have your 15 kilobyte download.

512 is four times 128 so your download speed in kilobytes will be more than 60.

i don't know if it's available to you locally, but cable internet kills any dsl connection, generally speaking.

zephead said:
i don't know if it's available to you locally, but cable internet kills any dsl connection, generally speaking.
HAHA and the flameware between the uninformed begins....

Unless I stop it.

DSL vs Cable. Each has their benefits, each has their downsides. Arguments are almost worthless since it almost exclusively depends on the provider and where you live.

I'd have to agree with. What's interesting to note is that almost nobody talks about satellite broadband. I don't have it, but at one time I had direct TV because cable was so f*cking expensive. Now that I have moved, I have free basic cable where I live (that's all I need) and I only pay for cable boradband.

What's the poop with Satellite broadband?

Cost and latency. I think to get it here its over $125 a month, and its also really slow at times, at least according to what I've heard.

Arguments are almost worthless since it almost exclusively depends on the provider and where you live.
i agree, my mistake not putting that in my post. but seriously, comcast high speed cable outstrips dsl offerings (especially with the cable tv and all) in the chicago area. there's about 9 million people in the area and despite the growth rate of cable speeds are still good. this IS a local issue, and of course doesn't nessecarily apply to everywhere else. perhaps the most important thing is that (digital) cable and cable internet can be delivered through the same cable.

SNGX1275 said:
HAHA and the flameware between the uninformed begins....

Unless I stop it.

lol nice one, but i actually have adsl,and i would rather cable at the moment, but there is a new adsl coming out called, u guessed it adsl2+! which has a speed of than 25MBps, im not sure of the details, but i cant wait for that :bounce:

hang on, you people over in the land of america might already have that!! am i correct? it seems that australia lags behind america

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back