Downloading in virtual PC

hi guys i am new to this forum, but have read alot....i need your help

i am currently am blocked from using filesharing sites on my corporate laptop. I have since left the company but still never bothered to get the ports unblocked. My question is,

1. Can i make a virtual PC of windows XP and then download my files from clients which are given via mediafire, rapidshare and such.

2. Finally is the drive in the virtual PC connected in any way to my own hard disk? Meaning when i shut down the virtual PC, can i retrieve the files on my normal windows installation. or do i have to attach a USB drive in Virtual PC and then transfer.

I hope this makes sense,..........and i really hope you can help, thanks!!

If I follow what you're asking the answer would be yes, files saved in Virtual Machine XP Mode can be accessed by your standard Windows operating system. The attached screenshot shows an example of a WordPad file created in Virtual XP, it shows that the file is visible in both Explorer windows and is accessible from either environment.

Attachments

• VirtualFiles.jpg
    VirtualFiles.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 4
I feel that there are much easier solutions.
Like getting rid of their protection. Unless of course, you haven't actually left and are just looking for a workaround o.o.

whats that path you have there though

\\tsclient

is that a network drive???

i just made my windows partition and as far as my virtual PC know its on its own, there are no other drives around it??

can i add a network drive or something??? i think thats what you might have here

I feel that there are much easier solutions.
Like getting rid of their protection. Unless of course, you haven't actually left and are just looking for a workaround o.o.

sorry im confused....."protection"....what do you mean

What exactly do you mean? Maybe I misunderstand...
You said you're not allowed to go on file sharing programs. Unless you're still using your companies network, the only way they would still be blocking you is they have something on your laptop am I wrong?

whats that path you have there though

\\tsclient

is that a network drive???

That's how XP Mode automatically maps access to local drives on your system, these are generated. You can also manually map network drives that are defined on the host operating system.

What exactly do you mean? Maybe I misunderstand...
You said you're not allowed to go on file sharing programs. Unless you're still using your companies network, the only way they would still be blocking you is they have something on your laptop am I wrong?

I think you're reading it right or I'm confused as usual.

thanks mizzou,

i know have my virtual PC connect to a folder on the host PC.

I wonder if you can help me with one other issue. My wireless card wont work in the Virtual PC. i have set is as a network adapter in the settings of the virtual machine. When i click on device manger in the virtual PC, under network adapters its lists;

intel 21140 .....ethernet adapter (generic)
intel 21140 .....ethernet adapter (generic) #2

where as on my host machine it lists my wireless card; Intel Wi-fi 4965agn.

Ok, so i installed the orginal drivers from the driverscollection website

and then installed the wireless software.

The software is installed but says the driver is still missing.

Any thoughts, i have tried a few different driver installation files from the intel site with no joy.

thanks again guys!!!

I've never tried doing wireless connections for XP Mode, will check around and will let you know if I come up with anything.

Back