Downloads hanging up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every DL I start whether in IE or FireFox starts and anywhere between 3-99% stops. In firefox I cleared the private data, changed the DL path/location, deleted the downloads.rdf file, tried DLing in 'safe' mode, restarted the computer and router, reinstalled Firefox, scanned for viruses w/ norton, used PC tools spyware doctor and am stumped.

Any suggestions appreeciated

check your HD for free space! Run Disk Cleanup + empty Recycle Bin

I have well over 100 gig free, disk cleanup took care of about 80kb, and the recycle bin is almost always empty...

any others?

Here's a shot in the dark

1) Would normally first suggest you use CCleaner to cleanup after IE/Firefox/and other apps leaving cache/temp/and other stuff behind on your drive. But that means downloading it first! So, if need be, do it later after downloading the install file onto a friends computer then move it via media.

2) i;d try a 2nd and different virus scan PLUS, in addition, since the virus update files are themselves downloads.. how recent is the virus definitiion file you are using? If only just for the heck-of-it, try the online scan from bitdefender

It is highly UNLIKELY that a virus is involved in this symptom.
Once the download begins and progresses well into the file, lack of further
progress is usually from two sources:
1- the server is VERY busy with other traffic
2- your system is busy with other programs and doesn't get enough cpy cycles
to keep up with the server.

You did not say how you're connected to the ISP { dial-up, cable, DSL, satallite-link }

How long have you had this symptom and what change was performed just prior to the symptom?

Also, from where are you downloading -- is this a p2p/torrent site or what?

jobeard said:
It is highly UNLIKELY that a virus is involved in this symptom.
Once the download begins and progresses well into the file, lack of further
progress is usually from two sources:
1- the server is VERY busy with other traffic
2- your system is busy with other programs and doesn't get enough cpy cycles
to keep up with the server.

You did not say how you're connected to the ISP { dial-up, cable, DSL, satallite-link }

How long have you had this symptom and what change was performed just prior to the symptom?

Also, from where are you downloading -- is this a p2p/torrent site or what?

and which country you live in, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back