TechSpot

Downloads of iOS 7 caused 'major' Internet traffic jams

By Shawn Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple’s iOS 7 became available for download last week just a couple of days before the iPhone 5S and 5C hit the streets. As has become the case with major revisions from Apple, the influx of traffic pinging Cupertino’s servers...

Read more

2. Ronald Yates

Ronald Yates TS Rookie

32% of traffic I feel is a huge number in today's world! but my iPhone 5, from Verizon, only had just over 700MB for the update

3. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 128   +19

1.2GB size for a mobile OS? Thats quite huge !!!

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

And the size of of the update for my Apple phone was... 0 bits simply because I use Android. :)

5. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 128   +19

And I was under impression that Apple phones uses iOS not Android !!! Did you develop your own Apple phone?

6. 32% of TOTAL web traffic? I'm calling BS on that. That number (when converted to data transfer rate) would be beyond insane. The entire web traffic of the US population combined would be lucky to make up that kind of figure.

avoidz and khha4113 like this.
  7. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

This negative publicity about impacting the world wide internet is just so misleading. The number of Apple phones is less than Androids (based on worldwide market share) and is continuing it's downward trend. Apple would like everyone to think they have such an impact on the world's internet. For myself, I didn't even notice the internet being slow, maybe at Cupertino's pipes. I mean, c'mon....

avoidz and khha4113 like this.
  8. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

Also, for Apple, negative publicity is good publicity when you can get any.

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

Shhh... I'm working on it. Do you wanna get me sued by Apple before I've made a killing?

10. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 190   +30

Though there are more android phones out there, you have to consider that not a majority of them upgrade their OS within the same 5 days or so. If you have 100 million android users trying to update their OS within 5 days, you'll likely have similar results (I'm not saying there are 100 million iOS devices trying to upgrade because I don't actually know the number of cell phones out there).

11. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 907   +382

The sheep have responded!

avoidz and Railman like this.
  12. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

It would have been more useful to know if there are still issues downloading IOS7. Also it would be useful to know if there any issues using the new OS with older phones such as the iPhone 4.

In other words is it worth updating my wife's iPhone OS?

13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,549   +852

"In at least one case, Blue Coat found Apple.com traffic skyrocketed to over 32 percent of total web traffic."
    I find that horrifying.

14. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

It was quite a big update and there was a lot of hype for it. This doesnt surprise me.