Dr. Watson (or ZoneAlarm) indicates a problem. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertical

Hello everybody,

Once I try to click something in the Emule-Incoming folder, my ZoneAlarm gives the following message:

“Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger is trying to communicate with C:\Windows\Expolrer.exe by opening it process”

If I press “Allow”, the PC gets frozen. If I click “Deny”, the desktop disappears for some time but later comes back. Everything is closed after that.

It happens every time I click something in the folder. I have scanned it with antivirus software – nothing. I deleted the whole folder with the content last night and created a new one but this morning it is happening again.

RAM: 1024
CPU: 3,2
Antivirus: AVG (updated)

Sorry if the information is not sufficient. If any other information required, I am ready to provide it.

Thank you!

It`s possible you may have a virus/spyware infection.

Go and read this thread HERE.

Then, post a HJT log into this thread and I`ll take a look and see if your system is clean.

Regards Howard :)

Howard,

Thank you! I will follow your advice and will report the result.

Hi Howard,

I followed the instructions and posted the hijackthis.txt in the Security forum. Hopefully I've done it right.

Ok, having established it`s not likely caused by a virus/spyware infection, lets see what else it could be.

When did the problem first appear?

Had you installed any new hardware/software just before the problem occured?

Try and give as much info as possible.

Regards Howard :)

Hello everybody,

Exoerienced people checked my HJT file and told there was no viruses or spyware but the problem is still there: once I touch a video file like avi in the folders they are, it gives the same message;

“Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger is trying to communicate with C:\Windows\Expolrer.exe by opening it process”

If I press “Allow”, the PC gets frozen. If I click “Deny”, the desktop disappears for some time but later comes back. Everything is closed after that.

I have a guess though. I installed some video codecs yesterday - Divx Pro and AC3 and some others. Could they cause the problem?

Please help. If any other information is required, I am ready to provide it.

Thank you!

Hi Howard,

It looks like we pressed the reply button at the same time.

Can the codecs I've installed be a problem (the text above)?

Thanks.

This is my Divvx .AVI solution -

Go to Start/Run/ type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll It stops Windows previewing with thumbnails.

OR download this HERE

Peddant,

Thank you!

I did not recieve e-mail notification for your post and I have already deleted the video codec. The problem has gone. Everything works fine.

Could you please specify what you mean by "my Divvx .AVI solution". Do you mean that what was happening to me is a common problem?

Sorry for the ignorance but what does it mean "stops Windows previewing with thumbnails"? How does it correlate with the problem?

Thank you!

Yes it is a common problem.

Windows hangs when trying to show thumbnail previews
of .AVI files.

If you do a search for "explorer crash divvx avi" you`ll see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back