Dr. Watson will see you now: IBM's supercomputer can analyze your medical history, point...

By Jos
Oct 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Job offers have been flying left and right for IBM’s Watson supercomputer ever since it famously beat two of the world’s top Jeopardy! players in 2011. From pastry chef to Wall Street analyst to a customer service worker answering phones...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,888   +608

Newsflash IBM, there's a ton of medical history that's still in files on a shelf. The stuff that is online is spread between whatever different doctors a person has seen. The history from a primary physician may be on a different system than the neurologist who may use a different system than the orthopedic surgeon. So when Dr. Watson gets the question 'What's causing my migraines?' it might have some trouble.

But wait... why don't we just connect all those systems together so we can share data between them? Because our government, in their infinite wisdom, passed this thing called HIPPA which supposedly protects our 'privacy' but it also means that getting medical data out of a computer system is harder than getting an apology out of a politician. There's a pile of forms to fill out just to get your OWN medical records.

Ok, rant is over. Seriously though, IBM, good luck. :)
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,092   +724

This is phenomenal, but Mike is right, there is still a TON of non-digital history.
  4. Primary care physicians could be replaced by an app. Think about it.
  5. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 121   +7

Awesome! ^^ I hope they keep on improving this. It could mean a lot for a lot of people =)
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,188   +510

Just think... Watson didn't even have to spend a long term studying & doing internship & now it it has some esteemed professors consulting it... not bad.
  7. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 246   +22

If(symptom1=true)
    {
    diagnosis(symptom1);
    } else {
    diagnosis(aids);
    }
  8. AI is the way of the future, even in gaming.

I'm looking forward to the days that the gaming industry understands the importance of an intelligent AI (and not that laughable rubbish we have right now), so that we're not forced to play against teens who lack any kind of sense of tactics and strategy and who rage quit every time they get powned.
  9. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 751   +113

Innovation, what machines/softwares lack and is inherently present in humans. for outbreaks of strange diseases and emergence of previously undiscovered/undocumented diseases, the machines/softwares have no coping capacity because of reliance on previously collected data. I see the importance of the system in cases where there is no primary physician or no emergency medical technicians or is used as an adjunct. besides, with hackers lurking around, what happens if the software gets hacked and inserted with malicious codes and the patient dies/incapacitated/wrongly treated? I am suing for medical mal-OS!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.