Dram Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

anand_0047

I Am Using A 256mb P.c 2100 And A 512mb P.c 3200 Ram.what Should Be My Dram Speed. 133mhz 0r 166mhz.
My F.s.b Speed Is 133mhz

You should never ever mix different speeds of ram unless you really want windows to be unstable and possibly damage your mobo.

The only way I see countering the issue of making your pc unstable is setting the speed manually of the ram to the lower ram speed that you have. That could possible make it ok.

As the others have said, its not wise to mix and match ram types, and the stuff is so goddamn cheap nowadays theres no reason to be making an unstable system. But if you have to then (assuming it is DDR) set it at 133mhz.

Given the option, I would take out the 256 RAM as this could well be slowing things down. As Scorpius said, it is so cheap nowadays.

after setting the dram speed to 133M my computer is working ok.so shall i remove one of the memories?does this affect my mother board

Anand, as I suggested (and Rik has been kind enough to agree) take out the 256 Mb module and run it on just the 512 module. If you have changed the speed, put it back!
Also please do not send private messages about threads. It means nobody else can see them.

If your motherboard supports 166MHz then you might think about investing a little money in some new ram. You processor is probably underclocked and your data can be made to move much faster through your computer if you motherboard supports memory at higher clock speeds. PC2100 base frequency is 133MHz. PC2700 base frequency is 166MHz. PC3200 base frequency is 200MHz and is quite a bit faster than PC2100. What processor and/or motherboard do you have and we'll figure out what ram you should buy if you can buy ram? This program will tell you what motherboard, processor and memory you already have.

I'd have to disagree about the faster memory destroying the OP's computer. Underclocked memory will not in any way hurt that computer as long as the computer is designed to support the base memory frequency it's currently running at, and there is no need to remove the faster memory. Overclocking slower memory can break the memory and corrupt data but that does not seem to be the case here.

DUH NEVERMIND!!! I read this wrong. Yeah take out the slower ram.

As we suggested, the best idea is to take out the 256 Mb module and run it on just the 512 module. If you have changed the speed in the BIOS, put it back to match the faster memory module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back