Dramatically losing hard drive memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
For several months I have been losing hard drive memory which has gone down from 40 GB to now at 1.78 GB. I have removed every programme and file that is not essential. Also any non essential hardware. Today I deleted *.tmp files but whatever I do the available memory keeps getting less instead of increasing.

Help! Please.

How about deleting all but the last System Restore point?

Shortly before writing for help I had restored to 22 December 2005 but no change in the hard drive memory, which incidentally, has gone up marginally to 3.34 since posting.

Stan

That's not what I meant. Each restore point represents a certain number of system files saved which takes up space on the hard drive. After awhile it can accumulate to quite a bit. By going to System Tools > Disk Cleanup > More Options, you can delete all those excess files except for the most recent.

Merely going back to any particular restore point does not give back significant or any disk space.

disk clean up - more options

That makes a lot of sense, except that having done what you suggest I cannot find 'more options', which leaves me with the standaard disk cleanup, which I have used regularly.

Appreciate your interest.

Current free space is 2.33 GB

After you run Disk Cleanup, you will get a new box with a More Options tab.

disappearing disk memory

Thank you. Following your lead, using another path, I was able to delete all but the latest restore point. This helped, it sure needed to as by then the free disk space was down to 1.78GB, and still going down. A ruthless cull of all except vital programmes and hardware followed, but eventually I came across
tvDebug_2005-11-06-30-3 in Folder C:\WINDOWS\Temp\zf16.Atmp using 21.4 MB of memory, which had been repeating itself regularly since last November.

I am almost a complete novice at this sort of thing but, with your help, seem to have fallen over the answer.

Disk memory is currently 10.8 GB

Thanks again. Sorry about my emotional panic at the beginning as I saw things sliding rapidly out of my control.

losing hard drive memory

Thank you,

Will do.

I am now back to 19,6 GB and feeling comfortable, at last.

With your help and advice it should be considerably easier another time.

Much appreciated.

Stan.

19.6 GB? Small hard disk. I would definately add a second one if this is a desktop. Move your temporary internet files, and cache to your second hard drive. Your primary will run faster and fragment less.

I have found also that two (2) different programs will really clean the CRUD from your system....1. Sysmechanic 5.5x will default and leave your password files. I have tested in on default setting upto XP SP2..it cleans junk, back links, bad shortcuts... I do not recommend SystemMechanic 6. (unless you are very knowledgable on computers) 2. Ewido is very good also.... it does the same as SysMech5.5 plus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back