TechSpot

Drive enable

By gale
Apr 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a pc with two hard drives both of which have XP. Replaced my DVD burner with a SONY Dual Layer burner and purchased software that would work with same - Sonic v7.21~
    The burner works perfect while in C: but when I attempt same with D: I get a message that at least one drive must be enabled for Sonic to work. I checked Device Manager while in both drives and and the drives and controllers are enabled. Any suggestions. Thanks.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

You need to install the software and any drivers in both instances of XP.
    Automatic setups normally try to install everything on C. When in D, that might have happened, and somehow the program on D points to the registry on C.
    Reinstall Sonic on the D-drive, but do it with the Manual or Custom option, if it lets you.
  3. gale

gale TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 94

No, I checked that....I checked that it was installed in D: and it was. However, I did find that going to Device Manager while in D: and Secondary IDE Controllers Device 1 had a Transfer Mode of "DMA if avaiable" but a Current Transfer Mode - "PIO Mode" wheras while in C : the current tranfer mode was Ultra DMA Mode 2. Dunno why this would change. Seems like this would be a BIOS call.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Uninstall that writer in the Device Manager on D-drive, then use Add New Hardware or reboot into D to re-setup that drive.

The info in this article might help you to 'force' DMA on.
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
  5. gale

gale TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 94

"Uninstall that writer in the Device Manager on D-drive, then use Add New Hardware or reboot into D to re-setup that drive."

Worked just fine. XP detected the hardware and reinstalled drivers and DMA was enabled. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.