Drive Icon in Windows 7

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit os installed recently from windows 7 proffesional 32 bit, ever since the reinstall of the os the drive icon for my external hard drive shows a poece of paper folded and a window in it, instead of the drive icon like the rest of the drives. when plugged into another computer it is displayed like should be. I have read on another post to check and make sure there is no autorun.inf in the root directory and have done so except can not find how to show hidden files. also in the other thread tried to follow going thru the reg editor and have no luck there either. Any one help please
Thanks in advance
clo312

Mine shows a little picture of a desktop PC same as the other drives I have, but with a coloured windows icon (like a flag) above it as well to identify the system drive. But where that particular icon comes from I have no idea. It is probably embedded in IEXPLORE.EXE, but for it to have changed for you is odd.

Press the windows key and in the searchbox type 'show' without the quotes. Top of the instant list is 'show hidden files and folders', so click that. the option you want is 'show hidden folders and files'. Then look for an unwanted .ico or .inf file in the root of C:\

MS releases less and less information as to how the OS is bolted together, and to some extent this is understandable, as the less is generally known, the less can be easily interfered with by mischievous children all over the web, (and adults with childish minds), who can sit hugging themselves with glee whilst millions of the rest of us waste hours trying to repair what might or might not be damage.

Hi thank you for the reply you are the only one that has replied, I clicked on the windows key and typed show on the "search program and files" search bar in the start menu and do not get what you are talking about what I see is a list of things but none say show hidden files or folders. Please help this is only on my external drive it does this my c, and other drives including my other external work fine and appear with the right icons. I have tried everything even took to my local computer shop they plugged it in and it appeared fine and with the right icon so they were of no help and even did a virus scan and it is fine as well.
Thanks in advance
clo312

I don't know if this will help, but on my W7, I go into Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab
& see this
Un hide.JPG

OK, the option you want is probably easiest to find from Windows Help. Into the help box, type 'folder options'. Top of the list should be '1. change folder options', which should lead to a description of what that is about, then a link '-> Click to open Folder Options', which in turn leads to another form with three tabs. The second tab is 'View' and you will then find in the 'advanced settings' panel a line 'Hidden files and folders, with two options below for show and dont show hidden files and folders. The default is don't of course, so you reverse that.

What you will be looking for is supposedly at the root of your external drive, and might be an .ico file or an .inf file. Which you can delete. I have seen both - different external drive manufacturers package things differently. Essentially, you want to view your external drive as having a drive letter in windows explorer. If it does not have an assigned drive letter, and you dont know how to assign one, let me know.

Ok I have finally solved the problem and it was an autorun.inf file in the root of the external drive. I had not listened correctly when going to folder options before or I was not paying attention cause I went in today and the only thing I did was change the radio button for show files and folders from what the screen shows in the previous post but like I said I must have been pretty dense to not see that the other day. Thanks all for helping me with this nightmare.
Thanks again will mark as solved
clo312

Glad you got it solved. To my knowledge the OP don't mark it solved, it just gets pushed down unless someone else does a search in here for similiar & then it might get bumped up. Have a great weekend . :)

Back