Drive Image 4.0 Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an "old" computer running Win 89 SE that my son has used for several years. I have Drive Image 4.0 installed, and I have two hard drives on this machine. When I used to use the machine--approximately 3-years ago I would backup/copy everything from the "primary" 20-Gig hard (I only had about 3.5 gig of data on the primary drive) to the "secondary" 4-Gig hard drive. Since my son has used the PC I've not backed-up the hard drive.
Today Windows crashed, and Gateway told me that I must format the primary 20 gig hard drive.
I got out the Drive Image floppy back-up disks hoping to be able to boot the machine from the backup hard drive. However, when I put in the second of the two backup floppies into A-Drive a DOS prompt appeared, and I don't know what to type in at the prompt.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE--USING THE DRIVE IMAGE BACKUP FLOPPIES, CAN I BOOT THE PC FROM THE 4-GIG (backup) DRIVE, FORMAT THE 20-GIG (primary) DRIVE, AND THEN COPY THE INFORMATION FROM THE 4-GIG [BACK] TO THE 20-GIG DRIVE AND "BE ON MY WAY?"

Chris Wright

First, you must boot the PC from the first DI floppy (the one with e.g. mode.com and mouse.com on it). That loads DOS and the mouse driver, then calls for the second floppy.
It should then automatically start PQDI
You can NOT boot from that second HD.
By restoring the saved image, your 20GB disk (or at least the first partition on it) will automatically get its original formatting back.
HTH

Real.. is correct , so follow his instructions.
I only interject because version 4 may not auto start when you put in the second floppy. If it does not ,type" dir A:\ " (no quotes)at the prompt, press enter. and look for something like" pqdi.exe"
Type that at the prompt (exactly how it is spelled in your screen) and hit enter. That should start the program .

Thanks for the help

Thanks to all who responded with your help. On the third call to Gateway tech support, I got someone older than 19-yrs old, and the gentlemen told me to type a few DOS commands. The (fdisk) commands forced Win 98 to generate new boot commands and the PC is now fine! This took approximately 2-minutes. The previous tech support individuals both told me that I would need to format my hard drive "start from scratch."

Chris W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back