Drive Image With DVD +R/W

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed a Sony DRU500 DVD burner. I have been creating images with Drive Image 2000 for some time, storing the image files on am external firewire HD. I have never had any problem restoring an image. I recently copied Drive Image files to the DVD burner using Veritas RecordNow and attempted to restore the partition from the DVD. Transfer speed was around 40MB/min.. The stored partition contained about 3GB of data. Any idea why this transfer speed would be so agonizingly slow? DMA Mode2 is enabled on the DVD IDE port.

That's actually really good. :) 40mb is blazing when it comes to optical media..

It isn't because your system is misconfigured or your DVD rom is slow.. It's just the current state of optical media. And it will likely continue to be this slow until we move on a better removable media technology.

If you have a fast CPU, you can use higher compression rates to help make up for the low transfer speeds. It will make the data smaller to transfer across the IDE bus and inflate it on the target drive.. Perhaps saving you time.

Nothing beats HDD to HDD images. If it pains you to backup on DVDR and you have the money to spend, I recommend getting an external or internal HDD. DVDRs are fashionable, but still not practical as a reliable and fast backup.

My apologies.. I misread your post as 40mb/sec. :) Not 40mb/min.

That DOES sound pretty slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back