Drive will not power on with IDE cable attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the middle of a computer nightmare.

My old machine was semi-stable and a random freeze could not be resolved with a new system install.

I decided to replace the video card, mobo, processor and ram. My hard drive is only a few months old and the problem had been showing up before it was installed.

Processor is a P4 3.0/800
MOBO is a ECS L4VXA2
Hard Drive is a 160GB/7200 Seagate
CD ROM is a Benq
Power Supply is a Vantech Stealth
RAM is Kingston PC2700 333
Graphics is NVidea FX5500 VGA

I can't get any video signal or POST info.

I have tried running the machine with just the CPU and RAM.

There is a very odd problem. The Hard Drive or CD-ROM will power up if there is no IDE cable connected. If I plug an IDE cable in neither will power up.

I have tried using only the cd-rom or only the hard drive, jumper settings and a different IDE cable. Same problem. The IDE cable is keyed, so I know it is not in backwards. I have also tried both IDE mobo connections.

I have tried clearing the CMOS both by jumper and by removing the battery.

I have both power connectors connected to the MOBO.

I am using a USB mouse and it is not lighting up. I am wondering if this could possibly be a PS issue - except the PS worked fine in my other system and the CPU fan does power on and spin. I am wondering if the slots (VGA, USB, etc..) on the board are getting power.

There are only two jumpers on this board - the CEMOS clear and the bus speed select. I have tried the bus speed in both positions and no luck. The CMOS just stops me from being able to turn the thing on.

Also, I have another video card (same card but PCI) and I can't get that to work either.

I don't have any of the case lights coming on.

I keep checking for shorts and even tried my old mobo and am having the same problem (so I figure it's not a jumper or short issue).

The one thing worth mentioning is that I have one of those Windows wireless keyboards. It connects via PS2, but I was wondering if no keyboard could stop me from seeing POST data? I have an extra USB mouse that I am connecting via a USB -> PS2 adapter.

I don't think the keyboard would be causing the power issue with the drives, so I may have two problems here.

Any/all help would be appreciated.

I can't get ANYTHING to display on the screen.

Last night I removed the MOBO from the case and tried building it on top of my (glass) desk. No luck

Tried a new power supply. No Luck

Tried a PCI video card (no luck - although the fan on the card is spinning).

Tried a wired keyboard (PS2) and a usb mouse in both the USB slot and with a PS2 adapter. No Luck - although the keyboard flashes at powerup, the USB mouse doesn't light up.

Tried getting to POST with just video, ram and kb/mouse. No Luck

I am fresh out of ideas and am ready to toss a brand new P4 300. Could someone please help?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

My guess would be a faulty mobo. Since you`ve tried everything else, that`s all that`s left really.

Unless of course you cpu is dead. You can have your cpu checked at your local pc repair shop for just a few dollars. If it checks out ok, then it has to be the mobo.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yes, that is what I was thinking too, bad mobo. Since you have tried your setup on a different mobo with the same results there is also a decent chance that you have a bad cpu. Get it checked like howard suggested or, if you have a spare cpu around, you could try that cpu in your new mobo and see if that works. If it does, you have your answer, dead cpu.

I have tried two CPUs and 2 mobos. I am going to try to order another mobo from NewEgg and see if that workd.
Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back