Driver backup

surfersaiyan

hi guys, i just need to do a re-install of XP and remembered that although the actual install is a piece of cake, faffing around with drivers can be a real headache.

so i'm just wondering if there's a simple way to back 'em up or a utility to help me out, preferably free!!

cheers,

the saiyan..

I just grab all the ones I need prior to reformatting and put them on a usb thumb drive.

thanx guys.. of course its easy to look around on the net, i just wanted something which came recommended.

in the end i found a program called 'double driver'. its free, it runs from a USB drive and will back up your drivers in a variety of formats including zip, RAR or an executable file.

the reason i didnt want to "just grab the ones I need and put them on a usb thumb drive" is because mine are all over the shop, OEM discs, thumb drives, other hard drives, other CD's and so on. thats why i wanted something to make the journey simpler!

thanx for the recommends and i'll post how i go with this one!

http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

thanx guys.. of course its easy to look around on the net, i just wanted something which came recommended.

in the end i found a program called 'double driver'. its free, it runs from a USB drive and will back up your drivers in a variety of formats including zip, RAR or an executable file.

the reason i didnt want to "just grab the ones I need and put them on a usb thumb drive" is because mine are all over the shop, OEM discs, thumb drives, other hard drives, other CD's and so on. thats why i wanted something to make the journey simpler!

thanx for the recommends and i'll post how i go with this one!

http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm
Thanks for the update surfersaiyan. The tool you found looks pretty handy. Will have to check that one out for myself as well! :)

Hi surfersaiyan

I happened to re-read your thread.. and it occurs to me there's a few other steps that can help when preparing for a full reinstall. Also see this post for some suggested [post=818014]steps to prepare before doing a full reinstall[/post]

Back