Driver Conflicts HP AIO with Xerox scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem with an HP 5110 printer/scanner/fax/copier working with Xerox DocuMate 510 scanner. OS Win XP Media Center on an HP Media Ctr PC.

Problem: Printer will not print. All other functions of the AIO work properly as does the Xerox scanner. When I try to print to the HP5110 it returns a "System Error - The document cannot be printed due to a system error. Try printing again. If unsuccessful, restart Windows and try printing again."

Neither of these options resolves the problem. Neither Xerox nor HP tech support were able to help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled each of these devices numerous times.

Printer worked prior to installing the Xerox scanner.

Device Manager does not list any problems.
Drivers for both devices appear to be from Windows. The updated drivers from HP were downloaded and "installed" but the driver listed in device manager is still from 2001.

HP tech support could not help after 3 HOURS on the phone (both printer and system tech support). They say the problem is with the Xerox scanner.

Xerox tech support says the problem is with the system not their scanner.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Scanner software and or drivers are probably the most finicky out there...
It's a good possibility the 2 devices are banging heads through no fault of your own as you stated all drivers are updated etc.
Do you need to run both devices at the same time ? ?
Are they both USB devices as this could be a power issue as well.

patio. :cool:

Thanks for the idea of something else to check. I do have another printer only setup and it prints just fine. Also, all other functions on the HP work just fine. Just the printing from the computer doesn't work. It receives faxes makes copies, and even scans to the computer.

As far as needing to run the 2 together - well - I print and fax more than the high speed scanning that I use the Xerox for but it would be nice to just be able to go from one task to the next. The only way to get the printer to work is to completely uninstall the Xerox - just unplugging it from the computer doesn't let the HP printer function.

My second printer is an Epson photo printer so the text isn't great.

In Device Manager the HP AIO is listed as a 1284.4 compatible printing device. The info from a search takes me to the MS Driver Developers Kit pages. WAY too technical for me but it seems this might be an area that would explain some of the problems if I could understand it!!

Maybe someone else has some ideas too.

I guess the Xerox scanner software adds some extra things to printing that prevent it from working correctly with the HP.

Do you have an option to install a basic (TWAIN) driver only?

Twain vs WIA

I think that the Xerox is a Twain driver - in Device Manager, Driver details, most of the files are listed in the Twain directory. For the HP though the driver seems to be the MS WIA driver.

Actually both scanners work just fine (individually, not simultaneously), it is the printer that doesn't want to work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's another option you can try.
Completely uninstall the Xerox and the software for it.
Shut down and do a cold boot. Then right click My Computer ; go to Properties ;Hardware then Hardware Profiles. Create a new profile and give it a name(Xerox) for example.
Close out and re-boot. At re-boot you will now have 2 choices of which Hardware profile you can run under. Select Xerox or whichever you named the new one.
Install the Xerox scanner software in this profile
Again right-clik My Computer /Properties/Hardware but this time you want Device Manager. Find the HP printer and uninstall it. Note you are not un-installing it from the machine only from the Xerox profile.

Close out and re-boot.
You now have 2 seperate hardware profiles that you can use for all your tasks.
The Xerox profile can be booted to for your large scanning projects and it won't conflict with the HP.
The original profile can be used for all other tasks and the HP will not see the Xerox nor have any conflicts.
Your documents will still be saved and accessible under either profile for printing, scanning etc.

Patio
I tried the dual profiles - well 6 hours later and it didn't work. It would appear that the print driver is totally screwed up from unknown sources. I found a reference to the print failure in an event log. Win32 print driver returned an error.

Spent 2 more hours (after 3 hours last week) with HP tech support. In the end, the printer still doesn't print and they have no idea why. Now HP is saying that I have to contact Microsoft since it must be a Windows XP Media Center OS problem.

I did run the system file checker utility but could not reload any of the drivers since I do not have a disk for the OS (the HP Media Centers do not come with them and the recovery partition appears to require a complete re-install be done.

I'm not sure that this whole thing is worth it!! I really don't want to back up all of my data and reload the OS and ALL of my programs AGAIN.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I think I just might junk the HP printer and buy a stand alone fax machine. Sure would be a lot easier.

Sorry i completely missed the part in your original post that you are running Media Center as your OS...
It's possible HP hasn't written specific drivers for that yet, but they aren't gonna tell you that anyways.
The only other thing i could suggest would be to download the latest drivers for that printer, un-install it from device manager, then using a program like RegClean remove any references to the HP from your registry. Shut down and do a clean boot without the printer connected, then shut down again re-start with the printer hooked up and re-install with the drivers you downloaded.
Sorry i can't be more help.

p.s. make sure you back up your registry beforehand.

Error solved by disabling DEP

Could be not related to the xerox drivers conflict, but the same error was solved by disabling DEP for C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpzeng07.exe, thanks to HP Real-time Chat Support.

To disable, "My Computer"->Properties->Advanced->Performance->Settings->"Data Execution Prevention"->Add.. than browse to the executable above and add it.

Nir Yeffet

PS, I used "Process Explorer" from "Systeminternals" to find which process show the "System Error. The document cannot be printed due to a system error." message window, and disabled DEP for this. So if you can't find the exact same exe, use the same method to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back