Driver Power State Failure BSOD Entering Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deinonych

Hi all,

I have a self-built system that has been running solidly for well over a year. Recently, I've had two BSODs caused by a "Driver Power State Failure" in one of the onboard NICs (a RealTek 8169/8110) when my system attempts to enter S3 Sleep. The first time this happened was two weeks ago, at which time I updated the drivers to the most recent version from Realtek's site. I figured that would fix the problem. This evening, upon resuming from S3 sleep, I got an error message that Windows had recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Further investigation of the minidump showed that the Realtek driver was again the cause (with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE as the error). As a result, I decided to uninstall all of the network drivers and use Microsoft's default driver to see if maybe that will make the problem go away. I also disabled the second NIC in the BIOS since I'm not using it anyway. It remains to be seen whether this solves the problem, as the BSOD is infrequent.

Another interesting thing is that Microsoft reported the error being caused by "a missing driver for Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (rtlh86.sys, rtlh64.sys), which was created by Realtek Semiconductor Corp." Since the onboard NIC is a PCI (not PCIe) RTL8169/8110, it may have been misidentified by the OS somehow. This was the basis for my uninstalling the NICs from device manager and reinstalling them.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this further? I haven't added any hardware to my system since it was built, and the only driver change to the NIC was the update I applied after the first BSOD. I know Vista's sleep function is less than perfect, but it seems strange that this issue would pop up all of a sudden. I've read that disabling EIST and C1E is a possible fix for this particular BSOD, but I haven't been able to confirm this. If this BSOD is a symptom of my onboard NICs beginning to fail, then I can just disable the NICs and pop in a new NIC.

Full system config in profile. Thanks!

Just got another BSOD with the same error (happened last night when the machine went to sleep). I've disabled the #1 NIC and am now using the #2 NIC as the primary. If I continue having problems, it looks like a new add-in NIC is in order.

I've run Memtest86+ for several hours just to make sure it isn't a memory issue - no errors were found. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

[edit] attaching debugging logs from each if anyone is interested

Both errors are 0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

The driver cited in both logs is Rtlh86.sys which is a Realtek 8101E/8168/8169 NDIS6 32-bit Driver - Realtek 8101E/8168/8169 PCI/PCIe Adapters.

* Update your Realtek drivers.

Guess I should have mentioned that -- I updated my drivers to the latest version after the most recent BSOD. Hopefully doing that, and using NIC #2 will fix the problem. Could a failing NIC cause that BSOD to occur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back