Driver timeout before windows logon. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K@in

I have just uninstalled my old sb live sound card and the drivers and installed the drivers for the realtek ac97 onboard audio. Audio is set to onboard in the bios. The only problem is that after windows boots and gets to the "windows is starting up" screen, it stays there for 20sec(it takes 10sec to boot into windows), and logon takes noticible slower. I have a strong feeling that windows is searching for the sound card, and waiting for the driver to timeout. how can i stop windows from searching for the sb card? Please help, i need to fix it today. I am not going to reformat, afterall windows is running fine, except for the boot sequence...

Without knowing which OS you're using (XP, 2000, unless I read over it..) the simplest answer is go into the device manager and find it. In XP, Right click on "My Computer", manage. Then Device manager is in the left. Click that, then in the right pane go down to Sound Controllers. Find your SB in there, right click on it, and either disable or uninstall as you feel appropriate.

Actually to open device manager, this way works under either 2000 or xp: Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System icon, Hardware tab, and finally click the Device Manager button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back