Driver Update Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people,
As I mentioned in my intro post I am not very PC literate. I came across a link to check my PC's Drivers for free. It completed the check and gave me a readout stating that the following list of drivers was bad and a link to an update.

However, on clicking the update link I found out that I would have to pay $30 for them. I came on this forum and did a search on the drivers link but am afraid I found it too confusing and decided to post this instead.

The List of bad drivers was as follows.

Radeon 7500 Family - bad. According to my receipt the graphics card is 128MB ATI Radeon Graphics (7500 - TV out). Product code VGA128M014.

VIA Bus Master IDE controller - bad

Labtec Webcam - bad

VIA Rhine II fast ethernet adapter - bad

PCI simple communications controller - bad. (This one also had a yellow question mark beside it)

PSC605 PCI Audio Device - bad.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me links/advice on updating these drivers.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

If all those drivers were bad you would have one really screwed up pc. The graphics driver you can get for FREE from www.ati.com, as for the rest of the drivers, they should all be available on your mobo manufacturers web site.

The scanner you clicked on is a scam. Charging $30 for FREE drivers is a rip off and the people running it should be locked up!!!!!!!

However, on clicking the update link I found out that I would have to pay $30 for them. I came on this forum and did a search on the drivers link but am afraid I found it too confusing and decided to post this instead.
Why pay $30 for something that can be achieved for free (and legaly as well)? because people are ignorant.. (not saying you are :))

Rik is correct. Drivers are available throug the manufacturer's website, usualy under Downloads/Support etc. One of them is ATI as mentioned above..

For the rest of them, if you don't know the make/model of those devices (motherboard, camera...) then download Everest Home which will provide you with the neccesary details to obtain those drivers (and may provide you with a link to them as well)

I would've just charged $1.. cost of download :D (kidding..)

Thanks for the reply Rik,

I tried that link you gave but when I clicked on the Radeon 7500 link it seemed to point me to a 6500 something or other. I'm not sure about it so i'll leave it for now.

Did not realise scanner was a scam as it was on a reputable site I have boomarked for tips on windows.

My PC works ok at the moment but I have had intermittent crashing which seemed to point to a driver.I forget the error number but the repair advice on microsoft said something about "manually decreasing hardware acceleration for my video adapter".

After reading your reply I went into device manager and asked it to update the aforementioned drivers and in every case it could not find a better version than the one installed.

I went to the Philips site for my soundcard driver update but it was also the latest one I had installed.

I also use the MSI live update feature installed on my PC and this checks for updates on a weekly basis.

Do you think I should just leave well enough alone?.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Quote of a great and wise man..

The present drivers to date for the graphics card is Catalyst 6.9. I think it encompases all RADEON series cards if i'm not mistaken..

The site you've mentioned i havn't been on/know of, so i won't say if its a scam or anything. If they are legit, then they may prove to have reason to charge that amount to its users eg: software utility that monitors your drivers and official updated ones from the net, bundled software, for the newbies in PCs and those who don't have time/cant do their own maintainance, automation etc.. so cost may be somewhat justified..

But like rik said, things like these are free, if you know where to look and which one to pick.

What website was it? I havent seen mention of it!!!! I would like to get it to check my system out as i know for a fact that all of my drivers are up to date as of yesterday with the single exception of my graphics card driver. I am still using catalyst 6.8 as ive heard that 6.9 doesnt work well for my 9550!!!!

hmm.. yeh.. forgot to mention that some older series cards don't particularly like 6.9 so maybe try going downwards untill you find a stable one if it is problematic.. like me..

Catalyst 6.9 doesn't support Radeon series 9200 and below anymore. For that reason some new games like Company of Heroes no longer support those graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back