Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

boombatty

Hi, my sister's win2k computer has recently been crashing at startup. Occasionally, it boots up fine and then crashes about 5 minutes in, other times it never even boots up before the blue screen. When she boots up in safe mode, she's fine. I think there is a driver problem. Here is the text of the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 ()x00000025,0x0000000D,0x00000000,0xFD77E72)
DRIVER_IREQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address FD77E72 base at FD779000, DateStamp 3e89d599 - atapi.sys

Beginning dump of physical memory

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if more information is required. Thanks in advance!

Boombatty

what did she change (settings, updated drivers/files?) sounds like a driver problem or memory problem. try downloading memtest.

I am fairly confident that she has done nothing in the way of updating other than the recent win2k update.

2 questions:
1) How does she do a system restore?
2) Where would I find memtest?

Thanks for the quick reply!!

included minidump files

I have included the minidump files from her last few crashes, could someone please look at them and tell me what they mean.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tmp.zip
    49.6 KB · Views: 18
ok, she ran it all last night, with no problems. So, I guess it is not the RAM, huh?

What's next?

Thanks again for your help!

assuming you ran ALL the memory tests i'd say you have a device driver problem, or some other important system setting, can you get wondows to boot at all?

well, she ran it overnight and it was still running in the morning...

She can get it to boot up occasionally. When it does, it lasts about 5 minutes before the BSOD. Usually, she is trying to get to Microsoft and see if there are any updates for her Win2k machine when the crash occurs.

Did the minidump files reveal anything useful?

Thanks again.

this is going to be hard to narrow down...i'd try another hard disk and install windows onto that and see...it would help tremendously. what kind of a pc is it (dell, gateway, custom, extc)?

ps, the dump files didn't reveal anything useful, haven't spent lots of time looking

Ok, she does not have a spare hard drive to use. What would I need to do to have her wipe the whole drive (a re-format, perhaps?) and then re-install the OS on it. Would I need to set up a driver disk to make sure that the CD drive will run? Or, should I just have her re-install the OS on top of the current one without having wiped the drive first?

you shouldn't need to do anything special to reinstall windows. just give it a go and see how things turn out. i'd use another hd if available, it's your call really,

Here is what microsoft says about it.

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message
This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.
IRQL at time of reference.
Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
Address that referenced memory.
Resolving the Problem
For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

updated and comaptiable drivers are very important when running XP. Check your hardware with the HCL www.microsoft.com/hcl If you hardware is not on the list it does not mean it won't work it just means it hasn't been tested by Microsoft and they won't Guarantee it to be compatible. If it not on the list check the manufacturer's website fo an up to date XP driver, if they don't have one you may be out of luck. This goes for motherboards and the bios too.

Hi - I seem to have the same problem as other users.

Tech Info:
xxxSTOP: 0x000000D1 (0x82400000, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF8067988)

xxxW22n51.sys - Address F8067988 base at F7FF3000, DATESTAMp 404c5c4c

Beginning dump or physical memory. Physical dump complete.

This error is occuring more frequently now than before. I recently changed the internal HD because of errors with the last one. My computer is an

Acer 1680 - (3-4yrs old)
System is Windows XP3

I'm not very computer savvy, so any guideance would be greatly appreciated. Windows keeps telling my to Disable BIOS memory such as caching or shadowing - whats is this???

clarke, in the future it would be more helpful if you would start your own thread rather than attaching to one 3+ years old. As for 0xD1 errors they are caused by a faulty driver or buggy software.

One thing cited in what you gave information wise is W22n51.sys which is an Intel Pro/Wireless driver. Try updating your wireless drivers and see if it becomes stable.

ok, here's another one:
Toshiba Satellite M115 S3094

*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X000000307, 0X00000007, 0X00000001, 0XF83DFBB4)

*** Address F83DFBB4 base at F83D8000 DateStamp eb7d83e5 - atapi.sys

Regular Mode - doesn't work...
Safe Mode - doesn't work...

Any suggestions?

ok, here's another one:
Toshiba Satellite M115 S3094

*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X000000307, 0X00000007, 0X00000001, 0XF83DFBB4)

*** Address F83DFBB4 base at F83D8000 DateStamp eb7d83e5 - atapi.sys

Regular Mode - doesn't work...
Safe Mode - doesn't work...

Any suggestions?

elmeg, as I said to clark back in July you'll get better results if you do your own post rather than attaching to an old one. These errors are caused by a faulty driver or buggy software. Do you have Alcohol 120% or DAEMON Tools installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back