TechSpot

DRM in MP3s

By Mictlantecuhtli
Mar 3, 2004
  1. Read more...

Isn't it just great when pretty much every media format is going to be digitally restricted?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Nah.. It's not like they're going to restrict MP3. They are just making a new format based on it. It will be a failure for sure

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

/me double clicks on ClickMe.mp3

"Please enter the security key provided with this mp3 upon purchase. You have 20 seconds to comply."

/me thinks " What security code ? I don't have a security code..."

"You now have 15 seconds to comply."

/me starts sweating & typing a bunch of letters & numbers randomly...

"Dear user, do not randomly type letters & numbers ( *cough*******cough* ). You now have 10 seconds to comply"

/me starts panicking...

"You now have 5 seconds to comply."

/me starts packing old vinyl records & goes to hide in a cave somewhere...

"Login in RIAA network. RIAA intervention team has been informed of your illegal activities. Your phone-lines are tapped, your bank accounts frozen & your every movement analysed. You are ours now."

:blackeye:

PS. Does anyone else feel like going back to the good old bloated WAV format ? ;)

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

We have a much better modern bloated format called FLAC :p

5. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 501

You would of thought that with all the money the RIAA has been stealing from artists and consumers that they would of come up with a descent encryption scheme or business model to circumvent the deep doo doo they have fallen into. Really the only way that I can see them putting a dent into music piracy would be a cartridge based system a-la classic Nintendo.

6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

You mean like 8-tracks ? ;)

7. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 501

:approve: Exactly!:grinthumb

8. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

I can see people who put out music adopting the new "lockable" mp3 format - whther people will want anything in that format is a different story - but for posting on websites and stuff, it might have a chance...

9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

What's going to be bad is these files will be indistinguishable by the average user from regular MP3s. It's going to pollute the world's MP3 music supply on sharing networks for sure. :(

It might be an annoyance, but they can't stop file sharing until they take away the Internet or find some way to track everyone, everywhere. If MP3 becomes useless, then a new format will arise.

They just don't get it.

10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,336   +280

This reminds me of the DIVX set top boxes that were sold out of Circuit City so long ago. What a bad move.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.