Drop Dropbox campaign surfaces against Condoleezza Rice's appointment to the board

Justin Kahn

Recently news of Condoleezza Rice being appointed to the Dropbox board of directors hit, and now internet activists are up in arms calling for company founder Drew Houston to reconsider the decision. While it is understandable why Dropbox might want to connect itself with such a powerful and accomplished person, a petition called "Drop Dropbox" has popped up online asking users to speak up and demand Rice's appointment be reversed.

The petition states that the choice to appoint former United States Secretary of State and National Security Advisor to the board is "deeply disturbing, and anyone — or any business — who values ethics should be concerned." This is not an issue of partisanship, according to the petition, but more to do with "senior leadership at Dropbox's commitment to freedom, openness, and ethics." The document goes on to cite Rice's involvement with the Bush administration, its role in the war with Iraq, controversial interrogation and wiretapping activities, as well as her time on Chevron's board of directors.

drop dropbox condoleezza rice dropbox petition drew houston chevron bush administration

The petition calls for those interested to share the following message on Facebook or Twitter with the tag #DropDropbox, "Tell Drew Houston: unless you remove Condoleezza Rice from the Dropbox Board, I, and/or my organization, will stop using Dropbox and move to an alternative cloud storage provider." While there doesn't appear to be too much of a viral spread on Twitter, around 300 tweets went out within a very short amount of time.

Who is behind the petition is unknown, but they could be getting some motivation from other similar campaigns. Online activists were said to be in part responsible for getting former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich to step down.

Permalink to story.

Nothing sadder than people who think that party affiliation means anything, particularly when there's ample dirt on the hands of everyone whose held a top federal office. The only real difference between left and right is that the former are the only ones demanding that everyone conform to their worldview. That's reason enough to NOT support these lame anti-conservative boycotts.

So, how is it that these nut cases demanding the removal of Condi Rice are not considered racist and anti-women? Where is the outrage of the Reverend Al Sharpton and Eric Holder? Where is the outrage of the LBGT mob?

The only real difference between left and right is that the former are the only ones demanding that everyone conform to their worldview. That's reason enough to NOT support these lame anti-conservative boycotts.
Maybe you forgot about the Tea Party?

Dropbox started getting too intrusive, I haven't used it for over a year. google drive, hubic, copy and one drive offer more storage and stay out of other things. I don't have a point relevant to the story so I'll stfu...

So, how is it that these nut cases demanding the removal of Condi Rice are not considered racist and anti-women? Where is the outrage of the Reverend Al Sharpton and Eric Holder? Where is the outrage of the LBGT mob?
Yeah, you'd think that "the reverend", Al Sharpton would never ever miss a photo op like this.

The only real difference between left and right is that the former are the only ones demanding that everyone conform to their worldview. That's reason enough to NOT support these lame anti-conservative boycotts.
I am not sure why people are getting to upset about this. It is only a petition and as such the company is fully entitled to ignore it. Personally there is a more significant issue here of former politicians picking up lucrative contracts for dubious reasons.

I am not sure why people are getting to upset about this. It is only a petition and as such the company is fully entitled to ignore it. Personally there is a more significant issue here of former politicians picking up lucrative contracts for dubious reasons.

To play devil's advocate... Former politicians pick up lucrative contracts because their connections and influence are more valuable to a firm than most of the other things people tend to bring to the table. In essence, Harvard MBAs are a dime a dozen; people with strong ties to policy makers aren't.

Condoleezza Rice being appointed to the Dropbox board? Sorry but I won't be using Dropbox any more.
This Woman is a War Criminal from the Bush Administration she one of reason many innocent people are dead in Iraq American and Iraqi children,Elderly,Woman,Family no way I will continue using Dropbox.

Condoleezza Rice being appointed to the Dropbox board? Sorry but I won't be using Dropbox any more.
This Woman is a War Criminal from the Bush Administration she one of reason many innocent people are dead in Iraq American and Iraqi children,Elderly,Woman,Family no way I will continue using Dropbox.
And the upside to this is, you probably won't be missed either.

Then you can use the next shady online BS whatever app, and stop using that when they hire someone you don't like either..

And the upside to this is, you probably won't be missed either.

A flea, screaming in a canyon during a rockslide, is always missed, cap. Life needs humor, you see.

A flea, screaming in a canyon during a rockslide, is always missed, cap. Life needs humor, you see.
I enjoy individual protestations of boycott to no end! (There, that's my joke of the day).

I especially enjoy them when they involve game publishers, and all their little addicts join together as a chorus of crickets. Well, similar to a chorus of crickets, save for the fact that all their chirping won't get them laid.

However, these indignant ranters lose their humor, when you realize just how self centered they are. Can you say, "paranoid delusions of grandeur"?;)

In any event, Condoleezza Rice was hired to put a minority face on a southern republican administration, to give the appearance of adherence to the civil rights act. You have to admit, "you placate two minorities with one stone", when you hire an African American woman. Bush tried to do it with Colin Powell, but the good general bailed after Bush humiliated him, by sending him to the UN with claims of,"weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

So, how could Condaleezza Rice be a "war criminal"? Bush didn't even run the White House, D**k Cheyney did. Now there's the war criminal./

Last edited:
and in the time of Saddam, no one got killed... not in the Iraq-Iran war, not one Iraqi Kurd had been exposed to sarin and mustard gases... /s

but you are really right on one aspect, I think: war criminal issue.
when the west commits serious conducts during a war, no war criminals are convicted.
when the 'east' part of Europe commits war crimes, wars are waged, then the criminals convicted.
when Putin, the real strongman of the Russian federation, was accused of war crimes against the people of Chechnya, the west's response is a deafening silence.
when Putin's troops 'annnexed' Crimea, all Obama could do is talk.
when Putin threatens to do something if Ukraine use force against the violent rebels who occupied government buildings in some Ukraine territories, the U.S. response is more talk.

and the clear answer to why there are no U.S. boots on the ground?
1. there is no oil or natural gas in Ukraine (unlike in the case of Kuwait where there is abundance of oil)
2. Obama is a talker, not a doer.

and that picture of ms. rice with space in between her front teeth reminds of jim carrey of 'dumb and dumber' except condi is a smart horse. :)

I have dropped dropbox, about a year ago, so my decision has nothing to with their hiring strategy it was their security and the solution itself which drove ma crazy from time to time. I don't like that they can do whatever they want with my stuff and neither the NSA surveillance, nor their copyright enforcement strategy did convince me about Dropbox not touching my files. I don't have a strong opinion on condolezza Rice's past. But hiring such a controversial 'doer politician' who is openly on the side of mass surveillance is just not a good sign for me.

I just stick with my latest favorite Tresorit. They seem to say more honest things..

There are a cluster of reasons to drop Dropbox, but having Condoleezza as a member of the board is not one of them. This is a cloud storage service that has always been heavily devoted to providing for consumers. All of the sudden, as the notice a shift in the industry, they claim they are "rethinking" the business towards enterprise. As any enterprise user will tell you, fluffing up basic share/storage features with names like "Carousel" and "Harmony", does absolutely nothing to improve our user experience. Dropbox continues to lack the high end technologies that businesses require.
"We've created new Dropbox for Business! Now you get a second folder that says "Business!"." ... This is not true business solution Dropbox

What are you talking about? This issue has nothing to do with race or gender equality; people aren't mad about her new role with Dropbox because of being a woman, they are mad because they feel a company dedicated to user/business security and privacy should not be adding a figure like Condi Rice.
Get with the issue or get out.

Get with the issue or get out.
Of all the ills that plague America and the American people and this is the issue you want to take a stand? Let's ignore the ghetto's, drug use, crime and violence, poverty that exists in all the large cities, unemployment, etc and take a stand over a woman's appointment to a company that she will be an asset to that provides a cloud service. Real humanitarianism at work, get with the issue folks!

Of all the ills that plague America and the American people and this is the issue you want to take a stand? Let's ignore the ghetto's, drug use, crime and violence, poverty that exists in all the large cities, unemployment, etc and take a stand over a woman's appointment to a company that she will be an asset to that provides a cloud service. Real humanitarianism at work, get with the issue folks!
Yeah man, that's 'cause America's not a real place. Nothing can harm us, 'cause we live in the internet. That's the only thing that's real

These jacka**es remind me of old fashioned, "prophets of doom", carrying placards saying, "the end of the world is nigh, Condoleeza Rice is Satan".

In Pink Floyd's "The Wall", when it gets to the trial, I constantly find myself rooting for, "The Worm" . Let me know if you don't get that reference, I'll PM you...;)
Uh-oh, politics and technology again. where's a new apple device to bash when you need it
Why would we new a new Apple device to bash, when we could just bash the company for not releasing a new device? (to bash)?

Apple's out of touch! They've lost the ability to innovate, the Samsung Galaxy is worlds away better than the iPhone. Apple hasn't released something we can't afford in at least a week and a half. All that Apple is good for these days is suing other people who are innovators.

There, that should get you started, you take it from here......:cool:

So... this is sad, dumb and pointless (Maybe the last 2 were unnecesary... maybe just maybe :p).

I won't stop using a service as good as DropBox just because. I have tried others, including Drive and OneDrive, Box, Cubby, etc etc etc, and none worked like DropBox.

O.k. I will try a positive approach. Perhaps people's willingness to start and grab onto (non)issues like this may reflect a general feeling of powerlessness by us ordinary folks with all the frustrating external aspects of our daily lives. I know I feel powerless to effect any 'real' change, government's Federal and State or Provincial (Canada) seem both totally powerful and stupid, life seems to be getting harder, certainly not the paperless, robot's doing the crap work, with a 30 hr. work week that the 'future' of 2014 promised (to us back in the 70's) expenses are higher, jobs in general are harder to get and social mobility is an ever illusive goal. What say all of you readers?
Gotta get something going, with Techspot's new direction I have noticed the number of posts are way down except on very select topics. What say you readers?

Back