TechSpot

Dropbox: Recent downtime caused by routine maintenance error, not hackers

By Shawn Knight
Jan 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Cloud storage provider Dropbox went offline for several hours on Friday. Those claiming to be members of the loose knit hacking collective Anonymous were quick to claim responsibility for the downtime but Dropbox officials have since confirmed that a routine...

Read more

2. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Booster Posts: 267   +29

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

Eh, I think the hacking group had something to do with this.

4. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Booster Posts: 267   +29

Agreed.

5. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 411   +92

Yeah, they can say it's maintenance error just to cover up their insecure system.

6. Eric Wheeler

Eric Wheeler TS Rookie

The cloud provider is becoming more and more vulnerable by the minute. As they continue with marketing hypes and announce a new "business direction" -- all while they are moving to new offices, trying to raise more money, AND filling for an IPO.
    They themselves use AWS Infrastructure, so how can they expect to stand on their own two feet in the enterprise world (which includes Amazon as a competitor).
    Needless to say I am not optimistic with where companies like Dropbox and Box are going with their over-zeal and basic technologies. I'll stick with DriveHQ if I need anything more than a single synced folder.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.