Dropbox reportedly hacked as usernames and passwords appear online

By Scorpus
Oct 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Dropbox has been reportedly hacked, with the username and password combinations of 400 users uploaded to Pastebin as a "teaser" for a larger release of information.

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

Thanks for the heads up.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,390   +2,175

Thanks for the notice.

After reviewing the pastebins (there are currently three), it would appear that 1) the hacker is attempting to con people out of bitcoins and 2) a lot of people have garbage passwords.
    ikesmasher likes this.
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 295   +58

Is this a new trend now? Always blame the third party developers for these security loopholes.

Clearly the API that they developed for third parties to integrate into the system is really secure then.

Yup. =|
  5. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,101   +95

Those accounts that they claim they hacked look old as hell... @hotmail, @aol.... really? People still use these?
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,433   +473

It might be as they say, I have an account A on Dropbox and as dumb as I am (Yeah clearly I am... will get into that later) use the same password on service B Forum, it's so light on security that it got compromised and now they tried the same password on other popular services and voila! They managed to hack my Dropbox account.

I got something similar happen yesterday... I use a generic password on such services like forums, after all I won't care if my techspot account gets hacked, for example.

But the thing is, a friend sent me a trial invite into something, I used my generic password and ended up contracting the service, then it got hacked. The good news is I know now that I won't be using that password anymore without loosing anything (Thankfully) and I'm insta-setting 2-step verification process wherever they offer it.
  7. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 504   +42

I use hotmail still, not a main account but I use it still frequently