Dropped Thinkpad HD Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped my 600x thinkpad with a travelstar 6 GB HD in it, and when I tried to boot it, it comes up with the Windows 2000 loading screen, gets about 5% into it, then starts clicking and stalls there...does anyone know if there is any chance of recovering the data on this drive? When I remove it it sounds like there is something 'loose' and jiggling around in there....maybe the reading head broke loose? Can I buy another drive and do replacement 'surgery'? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TechSpot

Dropping laptops is not healthy by nature.
You could try and take out that HD and put it in a PC as a slave drive. You could then try various IBM and other HD-testprograms, such as mentioned in the Sticky at the top of this forum.
If the HD responds at all, you may be able to get your important files off it. I have heard of putting the HD in the fridge or freezer, someone else surely knows more about this procedure.
There are companies who can recover your data, but at a very steep price ($1000-1500, or more, is not unheard of). Try the likes of Kroll Ontrack if that data is really important.
http://www.krollontrack.com/
http://www.ontrack.com/ as well as .co.uk
If you are really technically inclined, you could try and find an identical HD, and swap the electronics boards first. If still no luck, you could try and take the HD apart, but the old disksegment(s) in the new one and hope for the best. You would need an extremely clean environment to do that swap though.
Best of luck.

As realblackstuff mentioned, connecting the drive to another computer is the best way to back up your stuff.

There are two good ways to do it. You can use a 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter, to connect your laptop drive to a desktop system. From there, you can copy your data (hopefully).

The other way is using an external enclosure, such as a USB or Firewire housing. This will make it pretty easy for you to connect your drive to just about any computer and copy the data.

Of course, there's a good possibilty you won't have enough time to copy the data. I've seen plenty of drives simliar to yours that will only give you a few minutes at best, then they start clicking etc... Which makes retreiving datta nearly impossible.

The trick is to place it in a freezer first. What I do is place it in a static bag, wrap it in a small towel and place it in the freezer for about a day. When you pull it out of the freezer, immediately hook it up to your system and copy the data. It should work much better - maybe even perfectly - and you'll be able to get your data off.

I don't know the science behind it, but it works very well for drives damaged by physical shock. I've used this several times, and nearly every time it has produced positve results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back