DSL Modem/Bridge does not support Internet Connection Sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have set up 2 PCs trying to connect to internet sharing a single broadband, using Win98SE's ICS.

After setting up host PC and client PC, I could not get the client PC to go to the internet.

I suspect it is the DSL Modem/Bridge which does not support NAT, hence does not allow internet connection sharing. I checked my DSL modem, it is a Prolink Hurricane 9000/B, the manual says it is in Bridge mode, no router mode.

The funny thing is I am able to connect to Internet using this DSL modem, but my client PC can't.

Pls help. In dire straits. Any other solution? Such as using a 5 port switch?

Rgds
Simon

If you are using Windows ICS then your modem doesn't have to support anything. It is the computer you are running ICS on that does the routing.

What exactly did you do trying to get the connection sharing going?

You will save yourself from a lot of headaches by getting a router. Either a small box from a store or any old junk PC with some firewall on it.

What exactly did I do to set up ICS?

I had installed ICS on my host PC, share it properly and I can see on task bar that 2 PC is sharing internet. I have also set up on the client PC to listen to DHCP like what exactly is found in the website http://www.practicallynetworked.com

But the problem is still there, my client PC unable to connect to Internet. Despite my sincerest effort to get install and re-install, I still could not get it up. Ofcos I know another solution would be to use a dsl router and that will save 3 nights of my misery, but since I am already fully into setting up ICS, I'm still very much interested to solve this problem.

I'm pretty sure it is something to do with the DSL modem bridge, Prolink Hurricane 9000/B.

Exactly..

What settings did you apply? Do you really have exactly the ame setup as in the practicallynetworked guide?

What adapter did you share to where? What is your network configuration? What is connected to where? What are the network settings on both PCs?

Are you sure the Hurricane is in bridge mode? Can you switch it to router mode and make your life easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back