DSL modem issues

By clunker
Jul 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,
    This is my first post as a new member. Anyway, I recently upgraded the frimware on my Speedstream 4100 DSL modem. It works fine, however, now when the phone in my house rings, I lose my internet connection and have to re-boot my PC to re-connect. Turning the modem off and on does not help. I've checked the modem settings and all appears ok as best I can tell. I use SBC Yahoo as my ISP and I have a Dell XP machine. Any ideas?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,029   +221

you need filters for EVERY device attached to the phone line EXCEPT the modem.
  3. clunker

clunker Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks JO. I should have mentioned that I already have filters on all the phones and none on the modem. Also, everything was working properly prior to the firmware update. I updated the firmware to take care of issues with accessability to some web pages that I had no problems with before and with slow connection speeds.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

Ask The ISP to send you a new modem. I'm sure they will be happy to do so
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

If phone rings are causing line droppage - one or more of your filters is either missing, or faulty.
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

That's right Tedster thanks,
    It has been many years since I have messed with DSL... I forgot about this. A power surge from a lightening strike can take these filters out very easily without any warning
  7. clunker

clunker Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for all the info. Apparently, the phone company was in the neighborhood the last 2 days (including into the junction box at the back of my house). All is well now.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.