DSL modem swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who is using Verizon DSL. Their area had a bad wind storm the other night and the electricity went out for several hours. Unfortunately the computer was on and connected to the Internet. I'm not an expert at home networking, but he is completely computer illiterate so I told him I would come over and try to help. Today when I talked to him on the phone I had him do the disconnect/reconnect sequence for the modem and router and the indicator lights are showing that all is well, but he still can't connect.

I want to do as much troubleshooting as I am capable of before calling Verizon tech service. I'm bringing over another computer to hook up just to make sure the problem isn't with the computer. I also happen to have a Westell modem that Verizon provided me couple of years ago. I've switched to cable so I'm not using it anymore, and it was working the entire time I was with Verizon. At some point in the troubleshooting sequence, I was wondering if I could just swap out his modem with mine, reset it, make sure the bridge settings were correct, and try connecting with it. I wasn't sure if it was that simple or if something more complicated was required and I should just wait for tech service before messing with this.

DSL modems are usually just plug an play. Even ADSL2 is backwards compatible with all normal DSL equipment. So yes, swapping the modems should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back