DSL Setup Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcothy

I know a DSL doesn't interfere with regular phone calls etc. but to setup a DSL Broadband connection-do you need to have a phone subscription with a telephone company? Or will you be able to set everything up just as long as your house is wired for a phone with no active phone subscription?

Thanks,

Good question, next question...

I would assume that a non-connected phone-line is dead. So you would need an active phone to get the DSL-signal in.
At home I have an antenna on the roof, which receives its wireless encrypted 1MB signal from my ISP's transmitter, which is (has to be) in direct line of sight about 5 miles away.
So my type of Broadband comes in regardless of my phone. I need this setup because the telephone exchange in my area is too old to accomodate broadband.

Thanks real, what kind of ISP do you have? My friend uses cell phones for their phone, and they have a lousy cable ISP in their area-so they are trying to avoid them. They want DSL but they don't want to fool with adding a phone line they don't need.

Any suggestion on ISP options for them where they can get broadband access without a phone or using their defunct Cable Provider that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks again.

Try an ISP called speakeasy.net. They offer a new DSL product called Onelink that does not require you to have a phone line to get DSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back