dual boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

plslemeno

hi, my windows xp pro os(at c drive) got corrupted and i reinstalled it by mistake to d drive (i got 2 partitions). now everytime i boot it always ask me which os to use (c or d). i tried to format (not quick format) both drive and reinstalled windows again on c drive but it still ask me which os to use. isn't formatting the drive erase everything on it. pls help. thanks

Change your BIOS at startup so that your computer will boot first to the CD.
Then boot the disc in the drive and shut down. Wait 20 seconds, then boot to the CD. Windows will hum and haw, but eventually you will get to a format option.
Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. You will have the following options:
• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
• Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
• Format the partition by using the FAT file system
• Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

Select the Format the Partition using the NTFS system, not the Quick option.

When offered, select the choice to remove the partition(s).
Be sure to remove all partitions.
When all partitions are removed, select the choice to create a new partition, and selected the largest size number offered. There will be a bit of space left over. Forget about the extra bits. They do not matter.

Note If you deleted and created a new System partition, but you are installing Windows XP on a different partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and startup partitions.
If you get this notice, starte over, and delete the other partitions.

After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions, if you wish.

For additional information about how to use the Windows XP Disk Management tools to partition and format your hard disk, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

309000 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/) How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP; This will dependon what verion of Windows XP was installed, the age of your system, and the age of your Windows Disk.

But you can ignore a lot. If you have removed the partitions, and it does not give you the choice to create partitions, reboot from a cold boot to the CD, and you will then eventually be given the choice to create a new partition, then the choices to format, Quick or Full, the exisiting partition you have just established.
After that, just be there to watch it start up. Depending on the size of your drive, the amount of memory, and front side bus speed of your motherboard, and the speed of your hard drive, it could take 40 to 60 minutes to fully set up your drive.

You must remove the patition for best results.
You must watch carefully thereafter to create a new partition.
You must watch carefully for the choice to format the partition in NTFS.
After that, it is fairly easy, but time consuming.

thanks a lot raybay. got no internet access lately that's why i only replied now. i'm not really that good in stuff like this so i'm kind of expecting a much simple solution like formatting the hard drive and that's it. about deleting the partitions, i kinda did when i was installing the os in drive c, i deleted drive d and create it again. and when im done and re-start the computer it's still asking me which os to use. im thinking of leaving it like that. do you think it will have a big effect on my system? again thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back