Dual Boot - Dual Disk Win98/WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've recently added an additional 10gig hard drive to an existing Win98 machine.

I installed WinXp onto the 2nd HD while the Win98 HD was disconnected.

I am only able to boot from either OS after a fury of HD jumper resetting. I am trying to edit the boot.ini while in WinXp so that I can select either OSs during the start up process. Currently the boot.ini file looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

So far I have added this under the last line with no sucess:
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98" Failed
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\C:\="Microsoft Windows 98" Failed
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)C:\="Microsoft Windows 98" Failed

However it does show a selection of WinXp & Win98 during startup, but only WinXp works. Win98 either restarts the PC or locks it up.
Any Ideas??

You will have to put he W98 HD in again as Master. Then reinstall XP from scratch on the (now) 10GB slave.
That will automatically create the bootmenu.

Thanks but,

I have tried this and it didnt work if I am understanding you correctily.

I must install an image copy of WinXp to the second harddrive which will definately write to the Win98 disk.

If possible can you please post entire the boot.ini text which displays the syntax for a dual boot/dual disk system for win98 & WinXp on seperate Disks.

This is a user machine for the company I work for, and we only use an Image of XP withh all of our programs pre-installed.

Our XP Image runs automatically with little control, Formatting and consolidating partitions with no option for disk selection.

For fear of over-writing the Win98 disk I am forced to install WinXp while the Win98 disk is disconnected.

Therefore I have no choice but to manually edit the boot.ini to get the 2 OSs to function as I want.

Help

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
C:\="Windows 98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Default above is XP.

different disks are indicated between brackets after rdisk(0), starting from 0 = HD1, 1 = HD2 etc.
partitions start from 1
multi and disk are not normally used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back