Dual boot question (2K/XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Win2K, and have read the threads about installing a second OS... I intend to install XP on a different partition.
My question is, will I need to reinstall most/any/all of my applications under WinXP in order for them to work? If not, are there any additional steps necessary after installing the second OS, or is it pretty much ready to go at that point?

Thanks!

I have never actually done it myself, but from what I understand of the process, once you partition the hard disk, you are installing the second OS as a fresh install. It will have no programs loaded onto it until you install them, one at a time as if it's a new computer.

I wonder (need someone who has done it to confirm) but I think you will likely also have to install all drivers? Good thing to confirm before hand.

You will have to re-install your programs from XP, but (if I remember right), I think you can install them into the same locations that they're already at in Win2K, in order to conserve disk space.

it would be like adding a user account to your OS this user would not have access to the programs from other user unless you install them again.
not sure but I think there is a way to migrate all the reg settings and what not to the other user if both have full admin rights.
I know some apps can be over written and this will save space
but you may loose settings you made as other user
check the MDSN area bet theres a tool for this.
I will keep this in mind in my never ending search for pc tools

It is always the best Philosophy to keep all applications seperate in a Dual boot.(You must install them to XP anyway)But easy to share some Data bases(especially if the DAta base is not on the Partition of either O/S)
Although W2K and XP are father and son they are significantly different in many ways .
I have Dual booted (98,2K XP and Linux ) the cool thing about 2K/Xp is you can use one to fix the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back