Dual boot question

I installed a second HDD and installed XP Pro Media Center Edition 64 bit OS for a dual boot for my computer. The original OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit. In order for me to boot into the XP drive I have to hit the F8 button, which was expect since I have a Asus MOBO. When I boot with the XP none of my programs or any other information shows up basically all that comes on is the OS. Is this normal or is there some setting I need to change for my programs and information to show up when booting from either OS? I hope I have given enough information to help solve this problem.

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated!

When I boot with the XP none of my programs or any other information shows up basically all that comes on is the OS

Not sure what that means... Do you mean Windows opens to an empty Desktop? If so, try rt click the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By. Then make sure Show Desktop Icons option is checked

Hi LookinAround,

Yes that is what I mean, an empty desktop. Thanks for clarifying that. I will try out your suggestion and let you know the result.

If I understand your question correctly, for each operating system you install on your PC you have to install any desired applications again, separately. The operating systems are independent of each other and you may install the same or different programs as you wish. Similarly, you have to install all XP compatible drivers as well.

Thanks Mailpup! If I had made a partition and put both OS on the same drive would I have to install the programs again for the XP or is it because I used two HDD's?

Thanks Mailpup! If I had made a partition and put both OS on the same drive would I have to install the programs again for the XP or is it because I used two HDD's?

Its because each Windows installation is seperate from the other. For example, if you had say the following:

MS Office
Firefox
MSN Messenger
Any other item of software

You would need to install them on EACH Operating system. Installing them on one, wouldn't make them available on the other.

You can run operating systems on seperate partitions of the same hard disc. You can also install them on seperate hard discs. It really doesn't make any difference which way you do it.

Thanks Leeky, it looks like I have my work cut out for me.....lol! Everyone has been a great help and have answered my questions!

Leeky beat me to it but, yes, it doesn't make any difference. Either way, you have to install everything separately.

Back