Dual boot system, disater recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have system with Windows2003 on partition (1) "system patition", and Windows XP on partition (2).

My concern is that, what happens if my Windows2003 partition get's messed up. Will I still be able to boot into my WinXP partition? I am assuming that my system partition holds the boot.ini and that is what I see before I choose which system to load.

What would you do disater recovery wise? I already back up all my data but I don't want to spend hours reloading my operating systems.

Thanks in advance!!

Both partitions have the boot.ini. If one gets hosed the other is ok. I dual boot XP and 2000 and I always have a third virgin install of XP or 2000 just incase of an emergency. Saves having to re-install if there is a disaster.

Yes, you will be able to boot under the other OS if the first one crashes. If you have backup you will be able to restore your other system by starting restore process under working system.

If the partition that holds the MBR(First Active Partition) goes down you will have to repair it before any other O/S will boot on it's own. You can repair the MBR with windows CD's or even a 98 boot disk with MBR repair program on the disk.Sysinternals also has a great program for this repair.
If you are concerned about a HDD failure ,Try a disk cloning App like Ghost.It can simply copy your backed up HDD (All o/s' , programs, and data) to a new HDD in minutes.
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back