Dual boot Win98 and Win 2k advanced server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

I need some help and advice please.

I've read the article on dual booting in 3d spotlight and read all the posts on this forum and the old one but am still in need of help.

I have two hard drives each split into two partitions. Win 98se is installed on C. I would now like to install Win 2000 advanced server on F ( 2nd partition of my 2nd drive)

From within Win98 I have started the Win2k installation. It says that I can't upgrade from 98 to 2k which I don't want to do anyway. Next screen gives clean install as the only option - this is fine. I agree to the license agreement. Next screen I choose Advanced and select "I want to choose the partition to install to". I click on OK and it begins to install setup files to my C drive ( it doesn't give me a choice here - it just does it ). After this, PC reboots.

I then see a boot menu with 2 options - "Windows" and "Windows 2000 advanced server setup". The 2nd option is already highlighted and from there it launches into Windows 2000 setup. This is a blue screen ( rather than a Windows type screen ) which checks out some things such as hardware configuration. About a minute later installation stops - after about 30 seconds I get a Stop error message "Inaccessible boot device".

It asks me to try again but still the same. I've used my virus program - no virus. I've used scandisk, although not the thorough option - no problem.

Where do I go from here? Should the setup files have installed to my C drive containing Win98se or should it have asked me about which partition I wanted to use first?

Please help.

I'm fairly sure with the limited hardware information you gave:) that what is happening is that your harddrive requires "SCSI" or 3rd party drivers to make 2k see it. I had the same problem once, a simple solution is to plug the harddrive into the non Ultra100 ide controller on your motherboard. I don't know if this is possible with your setup, what you can do though is download the drivers for 2k and put them on a floppy, then hit F2 or whatever it says at the bottom of that blue installation screen when it says "Press F2 to install additional 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers" Thats not exactly what it says but you will recognise it when it comes across the bottom.

I didn't think about the hardware side of it. Here it is

Epox EKTA3+ motherboard
Fujitsu IDE hard drive - partitions C and E
Maxtor IDE hard drive - partitions D and F
Duron 700 processor
Teac CD-Rom
Plextor CD-RW

Anything else you need?

Cannot install Win2k

I need some more information, but what I think may be hapenning is that you have a raid motherboard or raid card. If the hard drive is connected to a raid even if it is ide raid, get the floppy that came with the motherboard. It will have drivers. When the computer is booting, use the option to load scsi or raid drivers. Load the driver, and problems are gone.

Re: Cannot install Win2k

Originally posted by agandy
I need some more information, but what I think may be hapenning is that you have a raid motherboard or raid card. If the hard drive is connected to a raid even if it is ide raid, get the floppy that came with the motherboard. It will have drivers. When the computer is booting, use the option to load scsi or raid drivers. Load the driver, and problems are gone.
Originally posted by SNGX1275 up further in the thread:
what you can do though is download the drivers for 2k and put them on a floppy, then hit F2 or whatever it says at the bottom of that blue installation screen when it says "Press F2 to install additional 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers" Thats not exactly what it says but you will recognise it when it comes across the bottom.

I've looked through my motherboard CD and found the RAID drivers. I'll copy them onto a floppy and try this out.

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back