Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu

By sladegoulet
Dec 8, 2007
  1. Hey I was able to set up my system with both Windows XP and UBuntu. I have partitioned my hard drive into 4 segments. One for windows in ntfs, one for ubuntu in ext3, a swap partition which ubuntu requires, and another partition in fat32 to swap files back and forth between windows and ubuntu. I had the systems working fine and then i screwed it up. When the system would boot it would give me a command prompt asking which system i would like to load. I could choose from Ubuntu or windows. If i were to choose windows it would go to another prompt asking to use windows or an unrecognized operating system. I was trying to get rid of this second step as it seemed useless. So when i orignally booted the system the first prompt would ask for both systems, there was a line saying you can edit the controls of these boots and so i checked it out to see if i could get rid of the second command prompt screen. I ended up deleting one of them ( stupid me) and now i can only start up ubuntu. If i try and boot windows xp it says there are missing commands. Any ideas how it could be possible to get those things i deleted back without having to reinstall both windows and ubuntu. And if you know how to get rid of the second command prompt but thats not neccesary i can deal with that. Thanks a lot.
  2. sladegoulet

sladegoulet TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey just to add to the post when i try and boot xp from the command prompt it says NTLDR is missing and then goes back to the orginal boot screen.
  3. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.