TechSpot

Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu

By sladegoulet
Dec 8, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey I was able to set up my system with both Windows XP and UBuntu. I have partitioned my hard drive into 4 segments. One for windows in ntfs, one for ubuntu in ext3, a swap partition which ubuntu requires, and another partition in fat32 to swap files back and forth between windows and ubuntu. I had the systems working fine and then i screwed it up. When the system would boot it would give me a command prompt asking which system i would like to load. I could choose from Ubuntu or windows. If i were to choose windows it would go to another prompt asking to use windows or an unrecognized operating system. I was trying to get rid of this second step as it seemed useless. So when i orignally booted the system the first prompt would ask for both systems, there was a line saying you can edit the controls of these boots and so i checked it out to see if i could get rid of the second command prompt screen. I ended up deleting one of them ( stupid me) and now i can only start up ubuntu. If i try and boot windows xp it says there are missing commands. Any ideas how it could be possible to get those things i deleted back without having to reinstall both windows and ubuntu. And if you know how to get rid of the second command prompt but thats not neccesary i can deal with that. Thanks a lot.
  2. sladegoulet

sladegoulet TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey just to add to the post when i try and boot xp from the command prompt it says NTLDR is missing and then goes back to the orginal boot screen.
  3. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Maniac Posts: 579

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.