TechSpot

Dual boot...

By neveron
Apr 19, 2003
  1. hi guys:
    i have got windows XP professional fully installed on my computer, however, now i want to have a Chinese windows 98 operating system on my computer as well as the existing XP. is it possible to install it now?
    thanks.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

It is possible, but it will be rather messy so I'd suggest starting over with TS dual booting guide.

In theory:
    If your XP installation is on drive C:, then you have to move your XP partition away from the beginning of the disk and create a new partition for Win98. Then you install 98 and finally repair the XP installation. And finally you run into huge[\B] problems with drive letters being messed up. I don't know if there is a way to fix it.

If you installed XP on some other partition, then things are easier. You just install 98 to C: and repair the XP installation.

3. neveron

neveron TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

i don't quite understand what you are talking about, could you be more specific? do you mean, i remove the C partition(the only one i have at the moment), and creat two partitions (C&D), then i install Win98 to C and repair XP on D?...
    following is what i did...
    when i finished formatting the C and D(extra partition that i created) i don't know how to install Win98 to C, since when i put Win98 disk into the CD-Rom after formatting the C partition and restart the computer, it seems the CD-Rom doesn't detect the Win98 disk... (i already set boot from CD-Rom first), what can i do?

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Get a hold of a boot floppy, it seems to me that the CD you are using isn't bootable anymore for some reason. If you can get a 98 boot floppy, use that to boot, then change to your CD-Rom drive and run setup from there. This should work.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Actually you need a bootable floppy with drivers for CD-ROM.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +394

Windows98 boot floppies do allow cd rom support, they use a generic driver.

7. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 516   +12

If you can't get hold of a Windows 98 boot disk (for some crazy reason), you should know (if you don't already) that Windows ME boot floppies also contain generic CD-ROM drivers. Just thought I would point that out, as I would have died to know that back when I was trying to install 2K with XP Pro.

8. neveron

neveron TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

i did use the win98 start up disk... it has three option, one of them said: start with CD-Rom support... however, when i delete all the old partition(only C) and create the new partition (C&D), there is no way i can format it... because when i type format (c:\>format), it saies the parameter is missing-
    and i don't know how to chang from c:\> to the CD-Rom...
    are these caused by winXP that i have installed?

9. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 516   +12

If the format command is on the boot disk, try typing "A:/format C:". Replace C: with whatever drive letter you want. I think that is what you want to do; new posters don't make their intentions very clear these days.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.